chapter 12

the weekend went by. Mei has been feeling so much lighter and happier after so many days and months of worrying.
after the message of getting selected for the second round the other day, Chiyo had been continuously hyping her up about it, which, in fact, is the reason for Mei's excitement.

She gained so much confidence that she even decided to tell her mom about it, which she was very unsure about a week ago. Chiyo made her believe that she would get selected this time because, according to her, getting selected in the second round makes the probability of getting the job for about 80%. BUT of course, it's Mei we're talking about, so she can't be completely stress free in a situation like this.
deep down, she was still very unsure about this. the email didn't exactly specify if Mei was the only one who got selected or if there were other candidates, too.
but still, her brain was constantly trying to stay calm and keep the good thoughts dominate the bad ones.

it was almost 7am in the morning, and Mei was already awake because the birds were extra loud today, no idea why though. she kept staring at the ceiling, trying to absorb the reality since it was the day she might actually get an actual job after running for it like 3 months continuously. she thought that if she actually gets the job, how it might change her life as a stable working person. she turned 21 years ago, but now it's the time to step into an actual adult world.

is it scary?

I don't know

her thoughts were interrupted by the alarm. It was sharp 7 now. she decided to get up without wasting any more time thinking.

it was not too long after folding her blankets, till she heard Chiyo run on the corridor, outside, approaching her room.
she sighed and took her towel to head to the bathroom when the door loudly opened.

"You ready for today?" Chiyo grinned brightly with puffy eyes and messy hair tied with a hairband.
this girl still somehow manages to stay energetic at 7 in the morning.

"I guess." Mei deadpanned

"Huh, why? did something happen?" Chiyo's expression lowered. She slowly walked inside.

"Nope, nothing. just woke up, that's why." Mei plastered a tight fake smile and went inside the bathroom without looking back.

"Oh.. okay." Chiyo shrugged. "I'll prepare you breakfast!" she said loudly one last time before leaving the room.

Mei did a quick wash before doing morning skincare, hair and makeup. She decided not to wash her hair today since she already did it yesterday. she quickly straightened it and left it untied since it was only shoulder length.

it was now 7:45 am, too much time for bathroom duty, but who cares because she had to look perfect to make her best impression today. very determined to do anything to get selected this time, no matter whatever it takes. haha, maybe.

she decided to wear dark today, instead of pastels like the last time.
she chose a black turtleneck and a dark navy overcoat since it was already October, and the weather was almost getting colder by colder everyday. pairing it with dark flared trousers, she checked the mirror.

"Classy." she said to her reflection.

smiling at the mirror, she turned and left the room with her bag and her laptop.

she entered the living room, putting her belongings in the coffee table she headed to the attached kitchen where Chiyo was cooking scrambled eggs alongside sausages.

she checked the toaster for the bread slices, and it was still inside.

"Smells good," Mei said, putting her chin on Chiyo's shoulder to peek over the pan.