Chapter 11

The cold nights breeze ruffled Kazuha's hair as he walked next to Scara. After closing the bar and saying their goodbyes to Venti and Xingqiu, they began their walk to Scara's place. "Where is it that you live?" Kazuha asked curiously, trying to keep his wondering mind in check.

"Not far." Scara said quietly, reaching for Kazuha's bandaged hand. 

Kazuha felt a flutter in his heart, as Scara laced their fingers together. The warmth of another's hand calming him like the breeze. Kazuha turned to admire Scara for a moment as they walked, seeing the moon's shine reflecting on Scara's deep indigo hair. 

Scara turned his attention from the shadowy streets to Kazuha, giving him a world class smirk. "Just a little further." He promised, taking the lead and walking in front of Kazuha.

As they put the streetlights behind them, they finally came to a coffee shop. Scara dropped Kazuha's hand and reached into his pockets for his keys.

"You live, above a coffee shop?" Kazuha laughed in amusement, thinking of how Xingqiu is going to devour every detail of their night when he begins with, he lives above a coffee shop.

"Is that a turn off or something?" Scara asked, pushing the door open after finally getting it unlocked. He grabbed Kazuha's hand again, leading him up the dark stairs.

The scent of coffee filled Kazuha's nose, as he was led up the stairs. Once on the upstairs landing, he let go of Scara's hand, stepping into the living room.

Scara turned on a small dim lamp by the couch, and then made his way into the kitchen. Kazuha sat down, taking the moment to look around the room. There was a small fireplace on the other side of the couch, a sliding glass door that led to a patio much like his own place. There were minimal decorations on the walls, but a large bookcase filled to the brim next to the patio door.

Before he could stand up to go read the titles of the books, Scara returned with drinks. He sat down next to Kazuha, handing him a mug. 

"Is this coffee?" Kazuha asked, then took a drink blindly. His face scrunched up in a sour way, realizing that he had taken a large drink of alcohol. "What the fuck is that? Battery acid?"

Scara let out a quiet deceiving laugh. "I'm just trying to get you drunk, Kazuha."

Kazuha handed him back the mug and took the beer from his hand. "That's all yours."

Scara took a long drink from the mug before putting it down on the coffee table. "What is your favorite color?" Scara asked out of the blue, taking the time of them being alone to get to know him better.

"Red." Kazuha answered quickly, having no hesitation.

"The color of blood, I like that answer." Scara put his arm around Kazuha, pulling him in closer.

"What is your favorite color?"

"Black."

"That's pretty emo, Scara." Kazuha slapped Scara's knee, putting emphasis on his words.

"I'm pretty emo, Kazuha." Scara flashed Kazuha a serious look before picking up his mug again for a long drink of whiskey.

Kazuha grabbed the mug from Scara and took a long drink before setting it back in his hands. "What is your favorite book on that bookcase?"

Scara finished off the whiskey in the mug and set it on the coffee table before standing up. He went to the bookcase and grabbed a dark purple covered book. He stood in front of Kazuha, holding the book out for him to take.

As Kazuha opened the book, Scara slid open the glass door and let the cool nights breeze air out his stuffy apartment. He felt a little suffocated, not used to having company over in his own personal space. He returned to the sofa, leaning his back against the arm rest and stretching his legs out over Kazuha's lap.

Kazuha skimmed over the book, pausing for a moment as he looked at the handwritten note left on the last page. Your judgement is as your existence; unsubstantial.

Kazuha closed the book and set it down on the coffee table. "Did you write that note?"

Scara closed his eyes and nodded, before opening them slowly to see a concerned look on Kazuha's face. "Don't worry, I'm not so angry anymore. Although writing that down did help me release a bit of pint up anger towards my mother.

Scara took the book from Kazuha and reshelved it, before sitting back down. He put an arm over Kazuha, feeling the effects of the whiskey warming his cheeks. "I don't know if I'll ever forgive her for her betrayal."  

Kazuha scooted a bit closer, putting his leg over Scara's. "How exactly has your mother betrayed you?"

Scara put his hand on Kazuha's thigh, letting his head fall back onto the back of the couch. "She abandoned me. Put me up for adoption, only to start her life over again. So many times growing up, I asked myself if there was something wrong with me. Was it my fault? Could I have saved myself from the downward spiral I was forced to endure, by being someone other than myself?"

Kazuha let his head rest gently on Scara's shoulder as he listened to his heartbreaking story of growing up in the orphanage, and his mother's new life without him in it. As his eyes filled with tears, he raised his head to notice a single tear falling from Scara's closed eyes. 

Kazuha reached and wiped the tear away, before rubbing the tears from his own eyes. "That's so... sad." Kazuha finally whispered after Scara grew silent.

Scara coughed, then cleared his throat. "Yeah, well. I guess you can't really gain anything without losing something first." He stood and returned to the kitchen to fill up the mug, drinking from the bottle before returning to the couch. "Enough about me, are you ready to go to sleep? I'm feeling tired."

Kazuha nodded, taking the mug from Scara's hand. He finished off what was left and set it on the coffee table before holding out his hand for Scara to help him off the couch. 

Scara pulled Kazuha's hand but lost his balance. He put his hand out on the wall, catching himself from falling. His face inches away from Kazuha's, he leaned in to close the gap between their lips.

He pulled away and smirked, holding out his hand again. "Sorry, I had to." 

Kazuha grinned in his drunken state, feeling his cheeks turn bright pink. "I don't mind." He admitted, wishing Scara would lose his balance more often.