𝒙𝒗𝒊. chapter sixteen

━━ chapter sixteen : poison

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

Leo felt like he was going to be sick.

He'd been sitting at this dining table for what seemed to be hours, his mind was racing, and his body ached — as if being around this woman was making his powers go haywire and his veins to feel like they were burning.

Elara sat beside him, a fake smile pastered on her lips while the rest of the table laughed at a joke Mr. Duval made. Although the circumstances weren't great, Leo was relieved that he was the one here to help and not TJ. He had nothing against the quiet artist, but he was a bit jealous of the boy's feelings towards Elara.

"So Mr. Duval," Elara speaks up, and Leo's eyes snap towards her in concern. He saw her eyes slightly narrow towards their music teacher and he a feeling of worry arose in him. "How do you know Ms. Griera?"

The music teacher smiled and cleared his throat. "Well we actually work together. I work part-time at your school and part-time with your father and Ms. Griera." He turns to face Elara's father. "Sorry Boss, I should have known beforehand that you were Elara's father but I didn't get the chance to inquire due to our- uh, litte project- that we've been working on.

Elara did not laugh or smile and Leo bit his lip in worry at her silence. She was going to blow their cover. Ms. Griera wouldn't stop eyeing Elara and Leo and it angered him.

Elara tilts her head slightly and exchanges a quick glance with Leo as her father nods in understanding at what their music teacher said.

"Oh, and what little project is that, Mr. Duval?" Elara asks, taking a sip from her sparkling water. The music teacher widened his eyes and looked over at her father awkwardly. Leo took note of the awkward moment, knowing it may be useful later on.

"Nothing important, sweetheart, company business is all," Her father dismisses quickly, and Ms. Griera lets out a laugh.

"Men and their secrets," She purred conspiringly at Elara's mother. "Always trying to maintain mystery to keep us intrigued."

He quickly noticed Elara's mood souring and before she could speak, he blurts out: "Oh yeah! You know us guys." He makes sure to use a joking tone, in hopes it would lighten the conversation. Everyone lightly chuckles at his comment and he relaxes.

"Anyone want some more wine before dessert?" Elara's mother asks, standing up. All the adults nod in agreement and Ms. Griera stands up.

"I'll help you, Mrs. Sato," She offers sweetly. "Wine for the young lady and gentle sir?" She teased oh-so-pleasantly, but Leo's insides curled and he forced himself to keep it together. He noticed Elara's face blanch and she looked slightly nauseous. He himself felt like his body was betraying itself.