Chapter 7: Raindrops

'Maya!' I can hear Momma yell from upstairs as I come through the door.

I bite my tongue trying not to yell Jesus's name in vain. Would it be impossible to come home after a very long day and just be met with silence?

It's like I'm moving in slow motion as I remove my sneakers and move through all the boxes to get to the stairs.

When I reach the second floor I see her in the bathroom putting on big hoop earrings. She has on a black, shimmery dress. She spots me and I subconsciously roll my eyes, making a beeline for my room. 'Whoa. Maya?' I can hear her follow behind me but I still close the door once I make it inside.

I make a half-assed effort to loosen the strings of my smock before throwing it in a corner and hopping in bed.

I can hear the doorknob jiggle before the sound of high heels echoes through my room. 'Hey don't close the door on me. What's wrong?'

I chose to say nothing.

'I know you can hear me.'

I pout and reveal only my head from under my pile of blankets.

'You haven't been in a good mood since that time you went out with those girls. Speaking of I meant to ask you about that. Did something happen? Huh? 'Cause you know I will beat the breaks off of anyone that messes with my baby.'

I give her a look knowing damn well that she wouldn't do a thing. Especially not with how far along she is.

'I am so serious.' She stands up getting into a boxing position. I can't lie. It brings a slight smile to my face.

'No one hurt me. At least not physically.'

'What do you mean by that?'

Just as I begin to open up her ringtone goes off and she immediately answers.

'Mmm-hmm. Ready? Yeah totally. I just have to put on my heels on. Oh shut up I'll be fine. You should've seen me when I was pregnant with Maya if you think this is bad...okay I'll be out.'

If I have anything to go by, I'd say she isn't even halfway done. Nonetheless she goes.

'Maybe we can talk about this later. What time do you have to be in class tomorrow?'

'12.'

'Well then I'll be here no later than 10. Okay?'

I nod my head knowing that she probably won't be. If she's not hanging out with Tim she'll have a client.

When she shuts the door I'm engulfed by the darkness of my room.

The sound of the raindrops landing put me in a trance-like state as I try to wipe my mind of the thoughts from today.

I can only wish for tomorrow to be better.