FOURTEEN

One of the guards in the hall approached the Emperor who, until then, had been engaged in conversation with his advisers about the relationship with Tiflis; seated at the feet of the most important man in Greece was the little maiden, receiving the hand caresses of his mistress while he listened with curiosity as they solved problems of foreign relations.

"Emperor," he greeted, bowing, "a citizen requires a private audience with you, he knew how to indicate to me that it was urgent."

"Who is it about?"

"The tutor Hansol,"

This did not sit well with either JungKook or Jin. The tall man motioned for the soldier to show him in, in the meantime he politely dismissed the men accompanying him. The door opened, letting the young guardian in, his nervous, worried, and sleepless appearance alerted the couple. A bad feeling quickly settled in JungKook's chest.

"My Lord," greeted the maiden kneeling on the floor with his head lowered "I am sorry to interrupt you, I know you must have matters of greater importance than to receive a humble citizen,"

"Hansol?" inquired Jeon strangely for it was very strange for the man to speak to him so formally, as if they were strangers.

"I need your help,"

"What's wrong," he asked almost in despair at seeing him so frightened "Stand up, please, and look me in the eyes,"

"I can't," he moaned holding back a sob.

Jin, standing up, approached his friend and in front of him he was again on his knees, he tried to look him in the eyes but the other was totally reluctant to look them in the face.

"What favor is it that you desire,"

"I want to leave,"

The blood of the couple, Jin and JungKook, froze just hearing the request, one that the Emperor was not willing for anything in the world to accept. He seriously questioned what was tormenting the maiden to make him decide to leave his comfortable life in Greece, he wondered if he was happy.

"Why? Hansol, you need to explain to me what's going on,"

"I am an embarrassment to everyone... I really need to leave,"

"Hansol, please...," Jin pleaded as he reviewed at the other's reluctance.

"I'm pregnant,"

Thick tears overflowed from Hansol's chocolate orbs and rolled uncontrollably down his chin to his robes. His sobs were the only music to accompany the others' surprise. JungKook wanted to ask if he heard correctly, if those three words were an illusion, a dream or something similar because his brain could not process it easily. Then, of course, it all made sense: the ailments in the maiden for weeks now and his continued anxiety. He wasn't a doctor or a scholar on the subject but perhaps he should have suspected it.

"I can't tell you how sorry I am. I never thought this would happen and I know it's a problem...,"

"By all the gods," gasped JungKook running his hand over his face not knowing what to say, "Does Wonwoo know,"

"No, and it's preferable that he doesn't know,"

"But, Hansol, he is the baby's father,"

"I'm his lover, Kook, I can't ask him for anything and...," he sighed calming his crying so that his words would come out more fluent and not choppy and between hiccups "Wonwoo already has problems with his husband, I can't do this to him and be so selfish,"

"Why do you think you're not being selfish right now," JungKook challenged him very tactlessly, deeply annoyed.

"If I leave he won't fight with Mr. Mingyu anymore and Jay will have a united family,"

"Do you know what the punishment is for a woman or maiden who out of wedlock conceives a child,,"

Jin and Hansol trembled from head to toe like dry leaves in autumn, frightened they looked in horror at JungKook's choleric face. Perhaps that was not the facial expression the Emperor wished to show, but helplessness and annoyance could do more with him than the simple use of reason and calm. In the memory of the kompos settled the painful memories of when he himself was in the worrying situation of Hansol, how he had to beg for mercy not to be stoned in a square, how that now charged him without regard.

"Jungkook, you don't... you can't," Hansol pleaded; however, he was shushed by a wave of the Emperor's hand.

"I do not intend to be the one to condemn you and push you into the middle of the crowd in the square to be stoned to death, but you know perfectly well that if you leave Athens I will not be able to protect you. Once you leave the city and enter the territory of other Lords and they learn of your condition, do not doubt that compassion will be the last thing they will offer you,"

"It is the only option I have,"

"No, your most sensible option is to talk to Wonwoo and fix it, after all the child was created by the two of you,"

"Jung, don't be so harsh,"

"Condescending is the least I want to be now," growled the tall one "Hansol you know I hold you in high esteem but my advice is to face the problem and not run away like a coward, because I know you're not,"

"I can't. I can't! What do you expect me to tell him, that I'm pregnant because of him,"

"I think if you're pregnant it's because of both of us,"

The prince stood in the doorway, silent as a cat listening to the heated discussion, and his presence was barely noticed when he spoke. He saw his little maid turn in fright, his hands trembling and his face pale. He walked over to where his lover stood and took place in front of him, squatting down.

"Were you planning to leave with my son without telling me?"

"I.... sorry...,"

"Did you think I would leave you for it, "Hansol shook his head.

"I thought it wouldn't cause you any trouble that way,"

"You know what you would have accomplished? That I would go in search of you even if it took me a lifetime to travel all over Greece until I found you,"

"Forgive me,"

"Forgive me for not giving you the place you deserve in my life. You are the person I love the most, after Jay, and I don't plan on leaving you for any reason."

"But your husband,"

"I already took care of him," JungKook informed taking Jin by the hand to help him stand up "If you had consulted me instead of running away I would have told you that as of a few hours ago Mingyu was sent back to Troy with his brother,"

"You are a little fool, Hansol," spat Wonwoo annoyingly clasping him in his arms. 

"Oh, by the gods," he whimpered giving himself up to uncontrolled weeping again.

"I hope you're thinking sensibly now," warned

JungKook retreating from the spot to give the couple more privacy.

"My precious, Hansol, don't ever try to leave me again, or you will face the wrath of a passionate man,"

"Never again,"

That night, an unusual letter was delivered to the young Jin's quarters, his servant handed it to him as soon as he came out from taking a bath.

***You spend too much time enjoying the little freedom I have allowed you, remember that if you are in Athens it is because you must fulfill the mission I entrusted you with.The next time you go to open the Emperor's legs I hope you have the dagger in your hand and are able to kill him.I hope you haven't forgotten who has your son, SeokJin, because if you fail me I won't mind wielding my sword on him. The clock is ticking***.