Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Gunwook!" Yujin called out, excitement bubbling in his voice as he leaped straight into his friend's arms.

The latter's surprise quickly turned into a warm smile as he embraced Yujin tightly. "Yujin, what are you doing out here?" he asked with concern, gently setting him back on his feet. He could feel the genuine happiness radiating from his friend, and it warmed his heart. 

Without hesitation, Gunwook embraced him once more, holding him as if he never wanted to let go. "You have no idea how much I missed you," the other whispered, his voice muffled against his hoodie.

The boy's grip tightened, and he replied softly, "I missed you too. But you shouldn't be here."

Yujin nodded, reluctantly pulling away from the hug. "I know, but seeing you was worth it," he said with a fond smile.

In an instant, they both froze as the sound of a cough disrupted the air. Their hearts sank in unison as they turned their heads to find Taerae standing right beside them, clearly having witnessed the entire encounter.

In the thrill of reuniting with his best friend, Gunwook had momentarily forgotten the gravity of his discussion with the other boy. His complexion turned pale as an awkward tension filled the air. He nervously glanced at Taerae, uncertain of how to proceed and reconcile the situation.

Yujin's heart sank as a realization suddenly hit him. He had broken his promise to never venture outside, and now someone had witnessed his transgression. Fear gnawed at him as he contemplated the potential repercussions. 

The strict rules he was given and surveillance in the facility left little room for disobedience. He knew he had let his excitement get the better of him, and now he would have to face the fallout.

The silence was broken by Taerae's voice. "I'll make sure to tell Hanbin that you sneaked out," he said, with a mocking smile. "You're so gonna get your ass kicked."

The boy took a deep breath, trying to steady himself. "I... I didn't mean to cause any trouble," he stammered, feeling a lump forming in his throat. "I just wanted to see my friend. I'm really sorry, I'll never do it again. Please don't tell him." His eyes pleaded for understanding, hoping that maybe, just maybe, his friend would show some leniency.

He knew he had made a mistake, and the consequences of his actions were now staring him in the face.

His eyes locked with Taerae's, hoping to convey the depth of his regret and the sincerity of his apology. He had always valued Hanbin's trust, and he couldn't bear the thought of it being tarnished by this incident.

"I promise, I'll never do it again," Yujin implored, his voice barely above a whisper. "Please, Taerae, just give me this one chance, I'll be more careful from now on, I swear." His heart pounded in his chest as he waited anxiously for a response, knowing that the fate of his actions rested in his hands.

Gunwook quickly stepped in as well, his tone pleading. "Please, don't snitch on him. Think of it as a favor for me saving your life," he implored. 

Taerae's expression softened slightly, and a flicker of hesitation in his eyes could be seen. The decision was not an easy one for him, torn between his sense of duty and the debt he owed. 

He finally met with his savior again, and he was determined not to let the chance slip away. This was the perfect opportunity to express his gratitude and make things right.

"Fine," he finally relented. "But this is the last time. I won't cover for you again if you put yourself or others in danger."

The younger couldn't contain his excitement any longer and began jumping up and down, his face beaming with happiness. The weight of the close call with the rules seemed to vanish, replaced by a newfound lightness in his heart.