Speechless

"Bang!" I jolt awake and instantly sit up. A shocked expression laced over my chocolate features.

I'm on a cold metal table and dressed in a scratchy hospital gown. A sheet draped across my legs. An eery feeling creeps up my neck as my long dark hair falls off my shoulder.

What's going on? Where am I?
Who am I..

I turn and stand cautiously. My bare feet feel the rough white tiles. I look around, my head painfully clouded.

I frown, lifting my arm to see a patient band. It says my name is Mare E. Wood, but the date of birth and doctor is scribbled out in black ink.
Sex: F Age: 12 years old...

And underneath is typed Failure X

This doesn't feel right.. Why is no one here?

An empty hallway echos creeks out the open doorway. The whole building seems dark and dreary. A greenish blue hue over all the equipment.

I shiver as a breeze flows through the small room. But there is no window and no exit to the outside in sight.

I grabbed a large jacket that was draped on an office chair next to me. I put it on and slowly leave into the hallway.

Shadows seemed to dance on the walls as I walked. An orange light just ahead. I hear a screech, a cry of some sort. My limbs tremble. Do I really wanna know what that was?

A thin pool of blood flows out of the doorway just ahead. I can smell its stench as I get closer. I scrunch my nose and frown.

I walk in, a man in a lab coat laid on the ground. His blood splattered across him and the floor, a large jagged hole where his heart should be. My stomach turned, and I instinctively looked away.

Quiet shuffles came from the far corner, and my breath shuttered. Suddenly, a girl about my age came out of the shadows, dusty pink hair and blood stains paired with a surgical mask over her mouth and nose.

I stood there, in shock.
"Are you hurt?" I nearly whispered, not expecting my voice to sound as young it does.

She nodded and stumbled closer, almost toppling onto the ground. I helped her stand. Holding onto her shoulders without a second thought.

I heard her shaky breaths as I let go awkwardly, and she leaned against a desk to the right of us.

"You don't have to be afraid. I won't hurt you, I promise." Should I be making promises so early on? Maybe I should be less gullible. But I'm confused, too.

I just don't want to be alone anymore.

She scrambled to grab a pen and paperpad, quickly etching a sentence.
Then she handed it to me sheepishly.
One arm extended to balance herself.
"My name is Allie."

I read it and peered back to her pale face peeking above the bloodied mask.
"Thank you, Allie. I'm - " I glanced to my wristband briefly, "Mare."

Her eyes seemed to smile, and I held out my hand. Offering to help her walk. Her thin, trembling fingers grabbed onto mine, and her other arm wrapped around my shoulders.

I smile, a wave of dejá vu hitting me like a bitter sweet breeze. We walked through the laboratory, at first slow until we got used to walking together.

Once we found an exit, which took a while, we stepped onto the middle of the road into a bright, colorful neighborhood.

The contrast was alarming, to say the least. Every few houses, the colors and designs repeated themselves, like a simulation.

We looked at each other, taken aback by the strange area. "Do you think someone here could help us?"

Allie nodded.