A Babysitting Date Night

Prompt: you have a baby girl from a previous relationship, and your sitter canceled on you when you were about to go on a date with Kayce.

It's like your 4th or 5th date so you know each other but not super duper well, but you are dating him however it's still new.
———————————-

"Brinley, he's going to be here in 5 minutes, what do you mean your sick?" You ask one of your work friend's daughter's over the phone.

"I caught the flu—" Brinley's sentence was cut off once you heard her hurling on her end of the line. The call ended abruptly and you huffed and tossed your phone onto your bed.

"What am I gonna do?" You mutter just as a knock interrupts your internal conversation. You straighten yourself up and rush to the door and open it.

There stood Kayce with a bouquet of wildflowers. He wore his black cowboy hat, with a pair of jeans, a maroon button up, and brown work boots. His eyes widened when he saw you. "You look beautiful!" He greets making you blush softly. You wore a white lace dress that ended at your knees, a denim jacket, and a pair of brown ankle boots. Kayce then looked at the flowers in his hands and offers them to you, "these are for you!" He says.

You smile and take them from his hands, "their lovely, thank you!" You thank him and then beckon him inside so you could take care of the bouquet. "We may have to change our plans, my sitter just came down with the flu!" You admit to him and he nods. "I can't call my sister either, she's on a business trip!" You huff grabbing a vase out of the cabinet and filling it with water. "Gosh you must think I'm some disorganized person who doesn't know what the hell their doing!" You say laughing softly, "and that really sucks cause I really like you!"

Kayce comes into the kitchen and shakes his head, "maybe listen to what I have to say, before you just start putting words in my mouth." He says, "I really like you too, and I want this to work; I get it being a single parent sucks, believe me. But we can always go to dinner another time, your daughter comes first, I get it." He says in understanding. "I'm fine doing our date here, I don't care what I do, just as long as I can do it with you!" He confesses.

You smile and turn around, "gosh, where did you come from? You seem far too perfect to be real!" You admit leaning up and kissing his lips softly.

He pulls his lips away from you, "trust me, darlin I ain't perfect, if you stay with me long enough you'll learn why, but I'm willing to make this work if you do!" He says and you nod kissing his lips again before a cry breaks through your apartment.

You separate from Kayce's lips and grown, "child you have the worst timing in the world!" You huff before going to see the crying 9 month old. "Hey, sweet girl!" You whisper picking her up and taking one sniff of her bottom, you knew she needed her diaper changed.

You laid her down on the ground after tossing down a blanket and began removing her onesie. She kicked and fussed of course but you were used to it. You pulled at the tabs and removed her used diaper. You used a sanitary wipe to clean her up and then began to pull the new diaper on her.

She quieted once she felt that you were putting her onesie back on her. "It's okay, Lilah!" You shush her as you picked her up and set her in her crib before going to wash your hands. When you returned you had returned with a cold teething toy for her. She took it and started biting it.

You returned to the living room where Kayce was sitting politely. "How's she doing?" He asked kindly.

"Just a diaper change!" You shrug brushing it off, "want to order some takeout? I'm pretty low on groceries, besides baby food for, Delilah!" You ask and Kayce just nods.

After ordering some pizza, you turn on your TV and keep the volume on low so you would be able to here Delilah. You find an old western cowboy movie and Kayce was not impressed.

"This is so inaccurate!" Kayce complains, explaining and pointing out how it truly would have been done. The doorbell rang awakening Delilah who started crying. Kayce said he got the pizza so you could go console your daughter.

You ran to the bedroom and picked up a crying Delilah. "I'm here, I'm here!" You whisper rocking her in your arms. You went out to the kitchen and placed her in her high chair. "Hey Lilah!" Kayce said smiling at your daughter.

You grabbed some baby food and sat down, you put some of the mush on the spoon and blew like an airplane. Lilah was not having it not opening her mouth for you. 10 minutes went by where you had gotten about 2 spoonfuls into your daughter's mouth.

You were nearly crying, "please—eat!" You plead with her and Kayce saw this and took the spoon from you.

"Go eat something, (y/n)! I got her!" He says and you smile and kiss his cheek thanking him.

You grab a slice of pizza and ate as you watched Kayce. She opened her mouth instantly making you nearly drop your pizza in shock. "Oh so it's just me, then Lilah?" You say, "unbelievable!" You say exasperated.

Kayce chuckled and finished feeding her. You then picked her up and burped her softly with a spit rag over your shoulder. She then fell asleep in your arms and you went to put her to bed. When you came back Kayce put the movie back on and you snuggled up with him. His arm fell over your shoulders and your head fell onto his chest as you watched.

Your eyes eventually fluttered closed and Kayce looked down at you and smiled. When you woke up Kayce was gone and you went to change. But when you walked past your daughter's room you looked in and saw something downright adorable.

Kayce was rocking Delilah to sleep in the rocking chair. He looked up when he heard the door squeak and smiled. "What are you two doing?" You ask in a whisper trying not to wake her.

"She started crying after you fell asleep and I didn't want to wake you, I hope you don't mind?" He said and you shook your head letting out a yawn. He smiled and looked back down at Delilah, and your heart couldn't help but melt.

You had barely known this man for more than a month and here he was. Taking care of a daughter that wasn't even his, just because that's the kind of person that he was. He was so far different than Lilah's father, who didn't want anything to do with his daughter.

The way Kayce treated your daughter was the way a father should be with his daughter. Seeing him with her made you realize you wanted to be with him. You had also met his 8 year old son once or twice and Tate was just the sweetest.

You could imagine it now, a family with the man before you. A family with the man you were beginning to love.