Chapter 3

It's dusk, the slight wash of amber tinting the sky and its darkness leaves stars to find their feet as the moon begins to rise. Proposals find their finality, contracts in hand and Yoongi can't quite will time to quicken as winter's chill sinks into his bones, his coat doing little to stave off all that leaves his limbs numb. He's beside Namjoon, perhaps another equally as feared man leaving Seoul to bow to his feet, yet one who lies that little lower than Yoongi, countless men to do the dirty work that Yoongi takes pleasure in. Boss of the Kim family, born through old blood-stained money and years of rule beneath his father's hand, yet it's a family having fallen from grace just that little with time, the passing of Wonshik leaving the reigns firmly in Namjoon's brother's hold, ones quickly passed to Namjoon with little more than a plea. But he's an old acquaintance, neither quite breaking the barrier of friendship but maybe it's for good reason, for business and pleasure never quite mix, Yoongi has learned over the years, and keeping Namjoon at arm's length for when either needs the other works well, both teams filling all that they lack when hefty promises line tables.

Whilst Yoongi never dares to detail it, Jeongguk's insistent words that they should form a contractual alliance never quite leave his mind. It's a slight tug, never consuming but the thought lingers as they scope out a hold for imports. Small and inconspicuous, a shared venture to add to their many that are seemingly piled high, perhaps another reason for them to merge, Yoongi distantly thinks. Truth be told, they work well together. Yoongi's that little more cunning and Namjoon's a man whose wits pull him out of situations that others would simply succumb to. His hands are deft and mind sharp, and whilst Yoongi's tongue may house a bite, nothing ever quite breaks their tentative allegiance. But it isn't all Yoongi's fault that such a partnership never fell to fruition, for Namjoon holds his family's name in pride and perhaps Yoongi does too, working tirelessly to rid the name Min from the mouths of others and dripping with a callous laugh.

Yet Jeongguk remains steadfast in the venture, just as he does beside Yoongi each day. His body is well-built in the name of protection and as both Yoongi and Namjoon talk, his eyes never quite leave their surroundings, on guard and ready to protect the man who has perhaps given him more than he could ever lay bare. A man who pulled him from nothing, life desolate with a tarnished record stemming from the first breaths of youth, yet Yoongi saw far beyond his past and doe-eyes, and trained him to become one of his own; eventually his protector— the man beside him at every turn to shield him from harm.

"This one alright then?" Yoongi hums, perhaps that little bored, and Namjoon nods, fingers tugging at his lip as he turns to the entrance.

"If you need another, mine's there." He points, his voice low and honey-smooth and all Yoongi has come to know as stability, for Namjoon has never led him astray and perhaps, however selfish it is, he'd do anything that man asks of him in repayment of what lines his past. "It'll cost you— you know that."

"I do."

"B-boss," Jeongguk starts, a sweet lilt in his tone that never seems to falter. Yoongi had thought it'd find its way out of him once that innocence had left, yet it simply never did. "You two really should just team up. It's been what— ten years now?"

Yoongi huffs, eyes trained on Jeongguk's frame but it never deters him, just leaves what little laughter tumbles that bit more saccharine, almost teasing.

"Try and convince this bastard." He simply replies, stepping beside Namjoon to take in the view. Namjoon laughs but says nothing further, raising the papers held in his grasp to read over once more.

Seoul glimmers before them, a little veiled by the shipping yard but still a vision, and it leaves his mind to cast to Jimin and whether all the decisions he's made so far have been right, or whether he could never be cut out for a world such as this— whether he would've been much better staying within his father's hold. But that thought itself leaves nausea to pool as anger tints his veins crimson, and at that simple notion he knows his life is far from perfect, but whatever one Jimin was exposed to under the guise of wealth was far more torturous than what his hand could ever craft.