JUST THE TWO OF US

What if I told you the apocalypse came, the end of the world as we know. What if every living thing on earth died? Well it happened and just the two of us survived or so I thought...

On a sunny afternoon the sky turned red, a meteor approached earth at a very high speed. We were defenseless; there was absolutely nothing humanity could do to avert this dire situation. NASA, American intelligence, not even the combined armoury of all nations could stop it, and then a bigger mistake was made.

A missile strong enough to destroy nations was fired at the meteor which caused the surface of the meteor to destroy, but by destroying the surface a meteor shower was created, more damages were made and the impact made on earth by the meteor was devastating. The entire landform of the earth changed; it was as if the earth was broken. Animals, plants, even humans were extinct in a sense. Only me and my friend Maveth survived. Was it fate, luck or just pure coincidence?

Months have past and we are doing our best to survive in this new earth most plants we try to grow die and most of the rivers aren't clean. We get salt from boiling sea water using a campfire, although the world was destroyed some certain items were still available. Lucky us!

The internet was literally dead. I mean our phones were destroyed in the beginning, all modes of transportation were destroyed, I mean even if airplanes weren't destroyed neither I nor Maveth could fly one.

For what was worth I was thrilled about adventuring this new world but Maveth didn't seem too enthusiastic about it, I wonder if he is hiding something.

Maveth

I am Maveth and the world has changed you see a meteor hit earth causing the total destruction of humanity's hard work for a million years, for all I know only two humans survived this great destruction: I and my friend Aarick.

You see Aarick is a piece of work, he is so annoying and he doesn't care that the earth was destroyed by a freaking meteor, all he cares about is his adventures which I don't want to be a part of.

I and Aarick were very close, no, we were the best of friends.

It all changed on the day the sky turned red, 6th June 2022, yes the day of the destruction as we call it. That day, I and Aarick went to the beach for a swim. The United nation urged all countries to enter lockdown and go to safe houses but we didn't get the news on time and when we were about to the leave the ocean, the meteor shower had already started destroying everything. I was in shock but not as shocked as Aarick. He stood there frozen and I saw a tear roll down his cheek. I had to do something and the only thing I could think of was jumping back into the ocean with Aarick.

Aarick

I usually did more of the cooking while Maveth did more of the planning. We were both sophomores in a certain university. He majored in Aircraft Engineering and I majored in Geological Engineering. Thanks to my knowledge in geology, I understand the new structure of the earth. The current weather conditions have been very bad ever since the impact. We only get strong windstorms and terrifying lightning storms, we hardly see the sun, the clouds are no longer white as they used to be, the oceans have separated; I call it the red ocean and blue ocean because they don't mix, kind of like the Pacific and Atlantic ocean. The red ocean is full of meteor particles which are harmful though that's what Maveth said so I think we can only rely on the blue ocean.

Maveth

While we were in the ocean great turbulent waves start to form due to the impact of the meteor carrying us from one place to another. Aarick was unconscious, I held onto him firmly and I scraped my back on a meteor fragment but it was just a single scratch and thanks to the ocean the wound ended up healing. After what I would call the end we were washed ashore on land finally. I couldn't even identify the place we were at. Everything was so different, red skies, black clouds and even a portion of the ocean turned red, Hope was lost or that's what I thought until Aarick woke up.