Chapter 12: Wooden Stools

A few days had passed since the intense battle with Ultron, and Nier's body had healed. The morning sun cast a warm and inviting glow through the window of the clinic, gently coaxing him awake. As his eyes fluttered open, he found himself greeted by the sight of Grimoire Weiss, who had been floating nearby.

"Good morning, Weiss," Nier greeted, his voice still carrying a touch of weariness.

"Ah, you're finally awake, are you?" Weiss replied. "I trust you're feeling better?"

Nier slowly pushed himself into a sitting position, the soreness in his muscles serving as a reminder of the battle he had endured. "Yeah, I am."

Nier swung his legs over the side of the bed, his feet touching the cool floor. He pushed himself upright. He steadied himself for a moment before taking his first cautious steps. His legs felt weak, and he wobbled slightly, but he was determined to make progress.

"We should check on Yonah," Nier said.

As he walked out of the clinic, Nier could feel his heart racing with excitement. He hadn't seen the group in a few days, and he missed their company. When he reached the fountain, he saw Cap sitting on a bench nearby, staring off into the distance.

"Hey Captain," Nier greeted, waving a hand.

Cap turned to him, a warm smile spreading across his face. "Hey there, Nier. How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," Nier replied, taking a seat beside him. "Where's everyone else?"

Cap's voice was comforting as he updated Nier, "Tony's having a discussion with Popola about his armor; it took quite a beating in the fight. Natasha and Bruce are watching over your sister. Clint's practicing his archery skills, and Thor's out helping gather food for the village."

Nier nodded, taking in the information. "And what about you? Why are you just sitting here?"

Cap's smile remained genuine. "I was waiting for you. They mentioned you'd be up and about soon."

Nier's lips curled into a small grin. "Well, here I am. Ready for action."

"Indeed we are," said Weiss.

"That's good to hear," Cap said.

Nier chuckled softly. "Thanks. I do my best."

"You've certainly proved your resilience. It's part of the reason why I decided to help train you," Cap said.

Nier's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Train me? Like, for fighting?"

Cap nodded. "If Tony can find a way back to our world, someone will have to be here to protect this one."

"And you believe I can?" Nier asked.

"I believe you have the potential," Cap affirmed. "We'll begin tomorrow."

As Cap rose from the bench, Nier's excitement was palpable. "I won't let you down, Cap!"

"I know you won't," Cap said as he walked away.

"He seems to have high hopes for you," Weiss observed to Nier.