Patience Before Journey

So Travis and I walked out of the Pokémon center to see multiple people surrounding a large team called team plasma. They are a group that are like the government. They are bad people that are just trying to make themselves look like nice people.
They were giving a sprang about how people should let their Pokémon free because we were just using them for our own amusement.
After their speech there were people complaining about the whole situation, but I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw and old man, free his Pokémon friend that had fought by his side for 30 years. The look on the Pokémon's face wasn't a happy one. But the old man thought that it what was good for his Pokémon so he let it go.
All the commotion was scareing me so I started to walk away. I walked to where I want in town anymore. I didn't know where I was. There was just a ton of tall grass. I walked towards it before the professors popped out and scared the living crap out of me. I had literally nearly crapped my pants.
Travis walked up after seeing me scream to see what was going on. He had seen the professor and the professor started rambling on more about how to catch a Pokémon. For hours upon hours he kept rambling. I was starting to wonder if he was even talking about how to catch a Pokémon so I started listening. Turns out for the past 2 and a half hours the proses sir had been re-explaining himself just because I want listening. So I finally opened my ears and started listening. for another 15-20 minutes he lectured us on how to catch a Pokémon and what each kind of poké-ball does. Them he showed us how to actually catch a Pokémon and gave us some poké-balls and let us go. I didn't want to use them now I just wanted to get my Pickachu to a higher level, and get farther to see other towns and cities.
I could only go so far before I got a call from my mom and Dad. My dad didn't seem too happy with me and Travis going alone wherever we feel like going. My mother on the other hand just wanted to make sure I had the proper shoe wear to go adventure. I didn't know what the the big deal was. I mean I can run in any shoes. I can even run in heals! What was with these particular shoes that helped me run?