Pride (pt6): Felt The Same

The queue is bustling ahead of us: parent's shushing their kids, couples on dates -- and I'm talking all kinds of couples.

Two muslim girls wearing lesbian pins and sharing an ice-cream, a straight-passing black couple taking their food in the front of the waiting line, an interracial throuple holding hands, crust punks everywhere.

I felt like crying, I've never seen so many gays in one place. And it felt amazing.

"... just give me one second. Ris?" Sol's voice rocked me out of my stupor. My hand felt warm as he squeezed his hand on mine.

"Yeah?" I reply with a really clever answer. I could feel my cheeks heat up.

We bought our iced coffees and as we left the McDonald's, I started to complain.
"This isn't a real iced coffee, I ought to take you somewhere else next time. And since when did you like coffee?"

He rolled his eyes, letting go of my hand to look at the time on his phone.
"I guess there's things you don't even know about me."

God, your smirks infuriated me.

I decided to keep my mouth closed for once, and we headed to the venue.

...

You know, it's not told very often, maybe  on that one tiktok sound, but ... being gay really is expensive.

"I'll take two of the R10 flag stickers and one R20 trans flag pin. Ris?"
"Same as him, please?"

The sun was high in the afternoon summer sky when Sol and I found a place to sit.
I wished we could stay there forever.
"Too bad your dad wants you home before 6, hm?"

You lean back, elbows digging into the grass.
"It's not my fault that he doesn't like you, you know." I sit up straight, sweating in my black clothes.

That was a total lie, my entire family and all their friends knew about how you were planning to leave me behind after I told them. I told them about how you were always so inconsistent.
I feel guilty now, cos I'm not so different when you're not around.

We were polar opposites most of the time, I couldn't be near you without needing to change.

I wonder if it's the same for you, if you felt the same.