Chapter 2: Run

I brought my trembling hands to my face, covering my eyes in a state of shock and disbelief. The wind blew, and the sting from the fresh wound on my back served as a brutal reminder that it was now time to flee. I hadn't devised any escape plan nor given it any thought, but it no longer mattered. The only plan was to run. To be free.

Summoning every ounce of willpower, I struggled to stand on my feet. A searing pain shot through my legs, leaving me mentally berating my own limbs, urging them to cooperate. I attempted to rise, only to be met with failure as I crumpled back to the ground in frustration. Rage welled within me, and I struck the tree in a burst of defiance, ignorantly uncaring of the noise I made.

Taking a deep breath, I gathered my strength and tried again immediately, determined not to waste a single moment. This time, I managed to find my footing, feeling as though I was learning to walk all over again. I stumbled forward into the woods, one foot cautiously placed in front of the other, my senses heightened, scanning for any sign of shelter or safety.

Thoughts, both irrational and rational, collided in my mind, with the answer of fear and uncertainty. What if they turned me in? What if they judged me for my appearance? What if they subjected me to even more torment? Paralyzed by the weight of my doubts, I resolved to a new plan: just survive.

My pace quickened, driven by the fear that time was running out. Every step I took felt like being pricked by a million needles, the leaves crunching under my feet, and branches brushing against my arms. Rocks sliced into my feet, but I ignored the pain, knowing I had endured far worse. I had to keep moving, to keep going.

Suddenly, my body betrayed me, its strength waning. "No, no, no. Please," I pleaded, trying to draw in as much air as my lungs would allow. My vision blurred, and I felt myself faltering. "Please, no," I cried out, my legs giving way, causing me to collapse.

Desperation and frustration overwhelmed me. I touched my head in a futile attempt to stop the spinning sensation. Tears streamed down my cheeks, and my voice echoed through the woods as I chastised myself for my perceived weakness. "This pathetic, weak body deserves whatever happens. It won't even try to live, won't try to escape. WHY?" I screamed at myself, seething with anger at my own limitations.

With a heavy heart and exhaustion claiming me, I rested my head on whatever hard surface was behind me, guessing it to be a rock or a tree. Again, against my own will, I drifted into an uneasy sleep, fearing what the next waking moment would bring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

???? POV:

"She finally stopped running," I whispered to myself, observing her from a distance. I had been trailing her for a while, hearing her soft whimpers echo through the woods before she collapsed abruptly. She seemed weak, unprepared for her body's sudden fall. A twinge of pity washed over me, my reluctant assistance only driven by MoMo's request. I never liked meddling in the affairs of civilizations, but I had no choice this time.

As I approached her, a clearer view of her body emerged. She appeared frail, as if she hadn't eaten in days. Scabs and cuts covered her skin, leaving me to wonder why she had been running and what she was running from. Could she be an escaped prisoner? The questions swirled within me while she lay there, seemingly oblivious to my presence.

"Pick her up, and let's get moving," MoMo instructed, "I hear others coming in the woods." I couldn't resist the question, "What if she's a prisoner?" MoMo's response, "well you can either stay here and ask them yourself since you have so many questions or you can trust me and get a move on it." Well, it was forcing me to choose between interrogating newcomers or trusting MoMo's instincts. With a sigh, I lifted the frail girl in my arms, and traveling deeper into the woods.

I continued on until the familiar moonlight reflected upon the waters, signaling the arrival at Moonlight Lake. Following my usual path, I found refuge in my hidden cave where I often rested. Gently laying her down on my makeshift bed, I started a campfire to ward off the cold.

"She isn't dangerous," MoMo broke the silence. I glanced at MoMo, a retort lingering on my lips, "I didn't say she was." The exchange only added to my irritation, and I stood up, announcing my departure, "I'll be back. We may need more wood since we're having a guest." An unsettled feeling gnawed at me. MoMo had invited a complete stranger into our sanctum, and it made me uneasy. However, I couldn't deny that MoMo had never steered me wrong before. I didn't like it, but I would trust MoMo's judgment, even if it left me grumbling in discontent.