Ch.2

Shit, I slept past 11. Teegan is going to kill me! Once the healer leaves i get up from bed. Getting up was painful but I was not going to ditch Teegan like last time, Father knocked me out. When i look into the mirror to fix my dark, wavy, hair, I realize I'm still wearing the clothes from last night, my khaki pants and my favorite shirt my dad got me when I was 12. Surprisingly, it still fits even after growing 2 ft and putting on about 40 pounds of muscle.

*****

Before my father was a drunk-ass, he was a good man. He would take me to the park to play baseball almost everyday. That would give my mom time to read the thousands of books she owned. At about noon she would bring us sandwiches and we would sit and talk, just talk. At that time I was a skinny little guy, I was like every other kid. Every one is still skinny and i'm the one with all the muscle. I have to though, If i want to protect my mom and myself. This all started when my dad took his plunge to doom. He started by hurting my mother. She would have been killed if it wasn't for the healers. Once she was hurt so bad she had to be taken away for a couple weeks. That's when he started to hurt me.

*****

I quickly slip on my shoes and start sprinting towards the walkway. Getting closer i start to see a glimpse of Teegan. I'm so glad she is still here. I stop running and hide behind a tree, my hand brushes the carving Teegan and I made. Teegan sits under the bridge, the sun hitting her face perfectly. She plays with a locket I got her last year. Slowly I creep towards her trying to scare her.

*snap*

Teegan turns towards me, quickly running towards me jumping into my arms.

She smacks my face.

"I thought you were killed" realization floods her eyes "Did your dad hurt you again?"

I nod looking down at my feet. Teegan starts to walk away. I watch as her hair sways back and forth, just like my mothers. While catching up to her, it dawns on me.

"T...today is our last day trapped inside the walls of Pavv, tomorrow we will be free!"

She frowns at the ground, I nudge her with my arm

"what wrong?"

"Well your last day..."

She becomes very quiet.

We kept walking, not saying a thing when finally she said something

"I just don't think I have enough...I'm not like you Bex"

We were silent until we stopped near the Wellspring lake.

"Then let's jump in" I told her.

She looked at me as if I was crazy, then turns and runs into the lake. When she pops up from the water she looks pure, like the sacred ground she is in.

"What are you waiting for?" She yells toward me.