Ch. 3

The smell of burnt pancakes fills the room when I awake. Teegan has slipped out of the bed and by the smell of it she is burning the cottage down. I sit up to see the time, eight thirty two. Only half-an-hour to get to The Morning Meeting for the repetition of the 8 rules.

"Breakfast in Bed!" Teegan is standing at the foot of the bed with a tray in her hands. Steam is floating up from the plates to the ceiling. The plate is full of black, crispy, pancakes. I would say she looked like an angel, but with the steam and messy hair from the night before, she looks like she just walked out of Hell.

"Sorry, I'm still learning how to cook...." Teegan laughs hysterically.

After forcing the charred, chunks, of pancakes down, we start walking towards the Circuit Square.

*****

The Circuit Square is just as it sounds, a square platform in the middle of our Circuit. Every Morning anyone in the circuit meets there at nine am, we meet to watch Diem Wellspring repeat the same rules we have heard every single day of our lives. Well, with the exception of yesterday. The Healer recommended my parents let me sleep, and skip the meeting.

*****

"Did I miss anything Yesterday?" I jokingly ask Teegan, knowing nothing ever changes.

"Ya." she said, I gave her a confused look. "They taught us how to make pancakes!" she laughs at her own joke once again.

Teegan and I arrive to the square. Everyone is there from infant to elderly. Five minutes later, Diem Wellspring walks out on the platform. Everything and everyone is quiet. The authors have this power, it's like they can control the sound waves in the air. As soon as they enter a room you can hear a pin drop, but that is all.

"It is now nine o'clock...I am here to remind you of your daily 8 rules you must follow every day of your lives....1..."

Diem Wellspring is an older women, about in her late sixties. She still looks the same as she did the first time I saw here, white puffy hair, bony arms and legs, pale skin, almost as if you can see right through.

Sometimes I think I can see through the Authors when they visit, almost as if they weren't actually there. Teegan thinks I'm crazy so does everyone else when I tell them that, but only if you watch really hard...when they move the glitch. Teegan said I'm just hallucinating , but i'm not even sure myself.

When Mrs. Wellspring is done we are free the rest of the day, but since today is the fate ceremony T and I have to go get ready.

*****

When I get home Mother has already laid out a perfect outfit. My nicest button-up shirt, khaki pants, a bow tie and my mothers favorite suspenders!

Mother and Father are sitting outside when I finish changing. Mother calls me outside, but I stop in the bathroom to cement down my hair.

When I walk outside father is already gone. Mother stands up and smiles, she adjusts my tie and snaps a picture. This moment I have with my mother will be the last time I can touch her rosy skin, hug her fragile body, and say "I love you." After the ceremony we are taken to our new circuit without a goodbye.

I didn't want to leave my mother but when the bus arrived to take us to the stadium the ceremony is held in, I knew it was time to leave. I kissed my mothers cheek and waved goodbye. I sat down on the side of the bus with the window seat closest to her, I watch her mouth the words "I Love You" as I drive away.

When we arrive, there is a golden carpet leading from the bus door to the building, the people of town are surrounding us on both sides. There is loud music coming from inside, so loud we can hear every word.

Everyone is so excited to send us off into our new circuit, the parents and the younger children are happy to get rid of us.

****
"Ladies and Gentlemen...." The crowd goes quiet instantly.

"May I present your newest adults" the waves hit my ear. Everyone is excited to leave, no one feels the guilt I do leaving my mother. No one else feels the pain of my fathers hit.

When I look to my left I see Teegan twelve seats down. She sees me staring and smiles.

Kurt Authors voice booms over the loud speakers, echoing around the walls. "Tonight is the night our newest adults leave our circuit, and our wellspring create our newest children. Our elders will be released into the unknown to live a long life without the bothers of young children...Time to begin!" He starts calling the names. They always call people out by groups. The Grazers are called up first.

"Please welcome your grazers to the stage! Ethan Pratt, Carol Hart, Elizabeth Angeline......" Kurt Author continues until all 80 are called up to the stage.

"Now onto our Mentors!" Kurt Author continues on until we get to the Criminals.

"Now sitting in the seats before us" Kurt tells the audience, "are our cities criminals."

He looks at us like he is disturbed to be in our presence. He starts to say our names, he is not nearly excited to say them. "Carter Mason, Brandon Graham, Teegan Callahan.."

When he calls Teegans name my head shoots around towards her, I fell asleep during the four hundred names being called up for their fate. When Teegans name was called my face flooded with excitement and joy, we would be able to explore beyond the walls together.

"And that is all" he gave one more glare and walked to the edge of the stage. A man stood at the edge talking to Kurt Author. When he turned around he had a paper. His words sounded scripted the paper was telling him what to say. "This year is special..." He began.

"There is an exception to one child's fate this year" the crowd gasps.

Everyone has gone to a circuit or out of the city, no one ever is sent anywhere else, there is never an exception.

" Sir Bexley Bauer, please join me on the stage."