Chapter 4: A Fateful Encounter

"-and then Emberwing blew fire into the rain and made rock! It was so cool!" Sundrop crooned, flopping her long red tail against the floor.

Sundrop and Vexus were the last two dragonlings to file out of the classroom, chattering wildly about stories they read. A large chime outside the palace had just sounded for meal time. Sundrop was still confused about FireClaw rituals, but she was sure her friend would inform her about everything in time.

The Claws and Talons were already far ahead. They were slithering into the foyer beyond the balcony, leaving behind nothing but their glowing red auras. Sundrop trailed behind Vexus in the hallway covered with poorly drawn pictures. She ducked below a flickering torch and opened her maw once more.

"Can we still do that? Make rock?" Her blue eyes were wide with curiosity.

Vexus fluttered her rusty wings and shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know, but it would be insanely cool if we could! I bet us FireClaws would be the most powerful dragon species in the world!"

"We already are," Sundrop added with a wink. The pair burst into laughter and emerged from the dim hall. The hot rays of sun beamed against the dragonling's scales. She let out a reptilian purr and filed in behind Vexus on the thin strip of carpeting. The gemstones embroidering the walls shone like colorful stars.

"How was this place built?" Sundrop asked, glancing past the golden spears and peering into the daylight.

Vexus followed her friend's gaze. "We were always told that talented FireClaws from all over the world gathered below the mountain with precious jewels in tow. Because they finally had a land to call their own, they thanked the first queen by giving her treasure. She had them fastened to the walls of important rooms."

Sundrop thought about Emberwing again. She must've been regal beyond belief.

"Since then, only FireClaws live in the mountains," Vexus continued. "They wanted to serve beneath Emberwing."

"Speaking of Emberwing, did her daughter Direscathe ever have any children?" Sundrop asked.

"Well, obviously!" her friend laughed. "There wouldn't be a queen right now if she didn't!"

The pair entered the foyer from the balcony. Sundrop was instantly engulfed in a crowd of dragons. She and Vexus pushed past their mighty forms and squeezed through long wings. The open room was bustling with the voices of many FireClaws.

Sundrop looked up at the violet crystal-littered walls and caught sight of the BloodWing tapestry. She observed its frightening red eyes and spouts of green flames. They couldn't have been normal dragons. What odd fire they used to breathe. Maybe they were some kind of FireClaw? But that's not possible... their scales were black.

Vexus suddenly took a sharp left. Sundrop snapped out of her thoughts and jogged after her friend. They snaked beneath a large FireClaw and ducked into a round hallway. Sundrop peered around. It was mesmerizing. The walls sparkled like a million diamonds. Swirling plants alight with radiant aqua hues adorned the rocky floor, twisting their stems around smooth stalagmites. Above, the ceiling sported luminescent glowworms that threaded brilliant blue strings. They dangled like a curtain woven from the very sky itself. Torches weren't needed here. It was like dancing in the clouds.

"Wow," Sundrop gasped. Her voice echoed around the room. "It's so beautiful! What is this place?"

Vexus glanced over her shoulder and shot her friend a grin. Her scales glittered an enchanting blue beneath the incandescence of the hall. "This is the entrance to the coveil. It's like a cave, but it was formed by a whole lot of water. Erosion made the rocks dull and crumble, leaving behind fine crystals. Look around at the plants too! They don't need any light. I think it's because those glowworms up there give them all the nutrition they need! Either that, or they make their own. Have you ever seen a glowing plant?"