distance

The robber tapped his foot, nervously flicking his gaze from the hostages to the policemen, back and forth. He held his stolen police Glock formly in his hand, ready for the possibility of breaking off negotiations.

Gregory sighed deeply and rubbed his eyes, watching as the man walked past the hostages and stood still on the other side, only to continue walking again a few seconds later. He no longer had any doubts about the robber's identity, and he could take a guess at his companion's identities as well. He knew exactly who that was, but he was also sure that if he showed it in any way, he would end up in the chief's office. Again.

Erwin glanced at him from time to time. Gregory didn't need to see his face, completely covered by the jester's mask concealing his identity, the direction of his gaze, and his feelings. All he needed was that pause in his nervous pacing... All he needed was the pacing.

Gregory knew Erwin was on the other side as soon as he peeked out the bank's door to see who would be chasing them. Erwin's gaze hadn't lingered on him then, he had been entirely focused on his task. Now, bored with waiting, he was falling back into old habits.

Gregory knew Erwin's body language better than his own. Sometimes he would catch himself on the fact that he needed only Erwin's footsteps, confirmed by singular missteps, to recognize him.

A nickname, or an inside joke. Casual waving to each other.

Gregory had asked him so many times not to talk to him during the heists, not to let him know that he was the robber, because he knew that with or without that stupid waving.

Erwin wouldn't speak to him for a few days, but he would still stare at him, just like right now. Provoking, accosting. Asking.

Gregory felt like that they were not standing in front of the bank, but on their roof. Erwin was looking at him expectantly, as if Gregory was about to apologize or admit that Erwin was right. None of these things happened often.

Erwin apologized more often.

Gregory looked away, coming back to reality. Erwin was a wanted man, which was no surprise, but his files were getting thicker and the time Erwin would have to spend in prison was getting longer every day. Gregory really didn't want to get involved, so he kept his distance.

A distance Erwin didn't understand. Personal space didn't exist for him, and Gregory often thanked himself that they chose secluded meeting places, because one photo would be enough for the consequences to find them faster than they would have found the photo itself.

Gregory looked again at Erwin, who was leaning against a car.

Erwin waved at him, too enthusiastically for an ordinary gangster. Gregory had to turn his head away to hide the smile tried to break his serious expression.

Nobody could know.

The roar of the engine and the constant stream of information on the radio drove all thoughts away faster than he thought they would, and the colorful lights of the car in front of him effectively focused his attention only on driving. Left turn, small jump, v-max on the highway...

Jump out of the car, shoot, chase the runaways.

Erwin ran into a dead end, Gregory was right behind him. He heard the distant wail of sirens, singular shots, and screams that grew fainter with every second. He could hear police codes said on the radio, no one was asking about him.

Gregory didn't even react when Erwin took off his mask. With a cocked head and a confident smile, Erwin made his move and now waited for a reaction. His golden eyes glittered with anticipation, and his smile grew wider with each passing moment. He took a step back, but stopped as Gregory pulled out a taser.

The game is over, Erwin lost at his own request.