Chapter 11 - Cafuné

"Hey dad!" I smile, picking up the ringing phone from where it's placed on my dresser

A mumbled voice comes through, and I put him on speaker so that I can do my makeup and talk.

"Hey angel, how are you holding up?" He asks and I sigh, clenching my jaw. I don't want to go into this. I had to drag myself out of bed today because the thought of doing anything but crying and mourning was unpleasant and I sure as fuck don't want to talk about it.

"I'm fine." My voice is clipped, and he sighs.

"Don't lie to me, your mum dying was-"

"Why the fuck are we even talking about this? She's fucking dead already. That's it, gone." I yell, cutting him off.

"So, stop calling to ask how I'm doing because what's the fucking point? My life won't magically be all rainbows and sunshine. It won't get better so don't try. If you really cared, then you would be here. You would be here with me, and we could fucking be sad together instead of you being on holiday and all happy."

I rub my hands over my face, my head starting to hurt, and everything goes blurry through my tear-stained lens, a kaleidoscope of colour and I can't see one definitive thing anymore. My voice is wobbly and shaky when I talk again.

"You left. You left me and mum. For fucks sakes, you left. So don't go talking like you know anything about how I'm feeling. You have a new girlfriend; you've moved on and mum's still there. I'm still there."

"I know Bella I'm s-"

"Don't you fucking dare," I cut in, tears now falling from my face and chest aching from the pain. "Don't ever say you're sorry because you're not. You're happy."

"Isabella fucking Monroe!" He shouts, startling me, "I will never be happy that your mother died, who do you think I am?"

"I'm not saying that!" I shout back at the phone, gasping for breath as the waterfall crashes down harder and my entire world feels like it's tipping upside down, all this pain and grief being too much to bear.

"You're happy because you have someone. You're not alone in this world anymore, you actually have someone to love and cherish. You have a distraction." I yell at him, voice splintering off and heart shattering.

"You have someone to distract you." I whisper, burying my face in my hands as sobs rack through my body and I shake with the power of my cries.

"Angel, what are you saying?" Dad asks and it only forces me to cry harder because I can't bear it.

"I-" My voice breaks again, and I take a deep breath trying to calm myself so that I can speak. I feel sick, mind whirring and everything seems wrong.

"You have your girlfriend. And I had you and mum. Mum isn't here. You're happy..." I trail off.