Chapter 6 - Nebulochaotic

"So, we need a new maid of honour now." Mia says and I turn to her and Carlos who are talking between themselves in hushed whispers.

I walk over and flash her a grin, "What about Lana?" Mia scowls at me and swats at my chest, giving me a shove. "What?" I tease her, "Lana is amazing, you sure you don't want her?"

She narrows her eyes into slits and glares at me. Lana is her biological mother who does nothing but patronise people and ruin all the fun. She's like a real life grinch just worse.

"Yeah? And have her go all 'Oh! This cake is 2.347 degrees off from the centre. Oh, honey that colour? Not. It.'" Mia groans, throwing her head back at the prospect of that woman ruining her big day.

Carlos laughs, "Do you really want blueberry flavour? I heard it doesn't have as many vitamins and more calories that Benzaldehyde, just put some of that in your cake." I chuckle at his high-pitched impression which is uncannily accurate .

A snap goes off near us and I look over my shoulder to see Isabella with her camera again, smiling at the picture. I grin at her, but when she looks up, she doesn't have to return the gesture.

I knew she wouldn't.

But that twinkling softness in her eyes says so much more than a smile. She's taking her wall down, brick by brick and letting me back in.

I walk towards her and grab a bridesmaid book from the coffee table, holding it in front of her face when she looks at me. Her head tilts in confusion and I wave it gently, a soft smile on my face.

"We need a maid of honour," My voice is light and soft, like this is a secret between us that no one else can know, "You're available."

Her eyes go wide and doe-like, and she glances up at me, lips parted in shock. "Me? But- I'm not- I'm the wedding planner."

"Yeah." I grin at her incredulous face, "And now you can be the wedding planner/ bridesmaid. It's not impossible to happen. You just gotta let it."

"You know we can't." She whispers, not meeting my eyes.

My arms pin her against the wall, fingers trailing across the bare skin on her waist. She shudders out a breath when I drag them higher, towards her chin and hold it between my thumb and pointer finger so I can look into those fucking blue eyes that I want to drown in.

"Why not?"

"Because... I'm-" She stops again, closing her eyes and presses her forehead to mine.

"You're what, love?"

"Emma's best friend," she pushes me away, putting space between us and looks me dead in the eye, "And that means that nothing can happen. Because what happens if we break up? If we argue? What then? I don't want to choose sides, and neither should Em. I don't want a mess. We can't do this. It's impossible."