January 7th, 2020

''Good luck sweetie.'' Dad said.

I was SO excited. I think this is the school I wanna go to. 

I walked in holding the straps on the backpack with a tight grip. I was ecstatic to go here. I was gonna have the best time here. This is where I want to be. I walked into the school and the principal brought me along to the cafeteria. I like the principal. Ms. Laffe seemed like a great principal. It will take a while to get adjusted to this school but I felt like a perfect fit.

I sat next to a couple of girls. 

''Girls! This is your shadow, Valerie, make her feel welcome.'' a young blonde teacher said.

''We will!'' they all said.

Rory turned to me.

''Hey! I'm your shadow you will be following me around for today!'' Rory said.

''Hi!'' I saved and waved. I was so happy. The anxiety and excitement flushed over me all at once. I couldn't stop fidgeting. While looking around the cafeteria, I brushed my thumb over my palm and started rubbing. As I felt the skin of my thumb touchmy hand, I started to soothe down. My jaw was clenched, my shoulders were stuck in a place. This is usually what happens when I get nervous.

''You alright?'' Rory said.

''Yes.'' I said.

For the rest of the day I followed Rory.  Next period we had was science. We had a teacher named Mrs. Bradley. I sat down in my chair waiting to get a copy of the lesson. She handed me a sheet of paper. 

''Hello Valerie, I do not have an extra copy, but I do have an activity for you. If it is too hard, it is okay.''

I looked up at Mrs. Bradley and gave her the eyes of reassurance. I nodded my head. Mrs. Bradley was different. All the other teachers were welcoming. She was too but in a way no one else was. She treated me like a student, not a shadow. I turned my head to my friend Rory.

The glasses of her was tipping on to her nose. The beautiful script she has planted on her paper. How she moved in a paceful pace. Beating the rest of the classmates, she planted her pen down. She turned to me.

I was awkwardly facing her, with my hands gripping tightly at the ends of my desk, rocking back and forth.

Rory laughed awkwardly and maid eye contact with me.

Rory chuckled.

''Uh, Valerie are you alright?'' She looked at me with happy confusion; and a little bit of concern.

I was nervous. I didn't wanna get to close to her. But I didn't want to move away so she thinks I am avoiding her. Part of me hopes I don't smell bad. I don't wanna be like this. Why aren't I normal?

I look at her with meaningful eyes. 

''I am okay, thank you for asking.'' 

I look at her and my cheeks rose. I gave her a heartful warming smile. She looked at me dumbfounded but then her smile rose at well. Her glasses lifted back to her face as she smiled. Our stares with each other ended with her going back to her work. Every once in a while she talked with her friends. I trusted Rory. Rory was my friend now. I knew where I was going and it was here.

When I went home that night I told my father I was going to this school.