Day 16

It was past noon when you woke up.

You had a horrible headache, the blankets were too warm and you felt the sudden urge to puke. When you came back from the bathroom, you mindlessly took the pills on your bedside table, barely processing the fact that you may be getting drugged again.

Oh well.

You contemplated getting a glass of whiskey to wake you up, but decided against it when your bleary eyes caught sight of the bowl sitting innocently on the other bedside table. You picked it up and sniffed at the oats inside. They seemed harmless enough, with the sliced fruit lining the bowl and the faint smell of cinnamon wafting from it, and you honestly didn't care where they had come from when your stomach gave an obnoxious growl. They do say not to have alcohol on an empty stomach, after all. So you tucked in, taking the occasional sip of water from the cup that had been placed beside it.

The food was still warm and surprisingly delicious. Maybe it was because you were hungry, or you hadn't had a well prepared meal in a while, but you licked the bowl clean and almost wanted more. You stumbled down into the kitchen to get rid of the bowl and ended up switching on the air conditioner to counter the sweltering heat building up inside before going back upstairs to see if you could still go out and do some temp jobs.

It was past four when you got out of the shower. You may have revelled in the warm jets for longer than necessary, but you had been trying to remember what had happened last night.

Your phone rang as you lay on your bed in your bathrobe, your head pressed against the cool pillow to soothe the dull throbbing inside. You didn't get calls often.

"Hello?" You cleared your throat. When was the last time you listened to yourself speak?

"Hey! It's me, Steph."

"Who?"

"From the temp agency. We usually do jobs together?"

You had a vague idea of who she was. Brown hair, brown eyes... or maybe they were green? Didn't really matter anyway.

"Oh."

There was silence on the line. Why was she calling you?

"Yeah, so you never showed up today. I... wanted to check if you were okay."

"Okay."

"Are you... okay?"

"Fine."

Silence, then, "How'd you get my number?"

"Oh! I asked our employer. It took a bit of persuasion, ha."

You frowned. You'd have to talk to them about that tomorrow.

"Okay."

"I'll see you tomorrow, then?"

You hummed in response.

"Bye, then."

You hummed again then waited for her to cut the call before chucking your phone on the other side of the bed. The incessant pounding in your head coerced you into another sleep.