Chapter 2

I am standing against the wall watching Peter draw a picture on the concrete with chalk. It is what he thinks our mother looks like. SPLASH! Peter's drawing was washed away. I look up and see Mother Barnabas.

"Now get up there and clean those filthy gutters." She calls to peter. He turns around and looks at the ladder with a gulp.

"Is it safe Mother Barnabas?" Nibs asks.

"Well, I've not tested it meself, like. You know, not recently. But all the necessary paperwork is in order should an orphan perish in a fall. Now get up there! And while your aloft and closer to our lord, you may reflect on your festering souls. Your souls that fester as do the leaves. Ruby would you like me to take you out into the markets tomorrow?" Mother Barnabas says sarcastically at first and then asks me with kindness. I shook my head. She leaves while taking a bit of the roll she has. Peter and nibs then start talking about where the rations are kept.

Later that day.

Sister Joseph was getting up the boys who were talking when they were meant to go to sleep. The air raid sirens go off. As everyone else was panicking peter takes the opportunity to pull nibs and I off to Mother Barnabas's office.

A/n sorry it's a short chapter