Chapter 4

Once they arrive home, Neytiri takes Palu to the Tsa'hik's hut to get his wound treated. Mo'at, inspects the wound and starts to clean it up.

"You're lucky this isn't too deep," Mo'at says, "but you'll still need to rest for a few days."

Palu nods, grateful for his grandmother's care. As she works, he thinks back on the events of the day, his heart still racing with adrenaline.

That night after his grandmother wrapped up his arm, Palu walked out to find his siblings eavesdropping on their parents.

"I cannot. You cannot ask this!" Neytiri said looking into Jakes eyes with tears in hers. "I cannot leave my people. I will not."

"He's hunting us. He's targeting our family." Jake responded trying to reason with her.

"You cannot ask this. These children, everything we've ever known, this forest. This is are home!" She yelled walking towards him.

"He had our children." Jakes voice cracked. "He had them under his knife!"

With those words Palu quickly looked at his siblings.

"Enough eavesdropping. It's been a long day, we need rest." He said. "I was not asking. Let's. Go." He demanded noticing no one moved.

Everyone gets up and leaves except Kiri.

"Kiri come." Palu gently said placing a hand on Kiri's shoulder.

She roughly shakes his hand off as she got up and storms off without a word. Palu watched as his sister stormed off. Heaving a sigh he turns back to the tent, continuing eavesdropping.

"You're Toruk Makto! Palu'teyo is next in line to be Olo'eyktan!"

"This will protect the people!" He countered. "Quaritch has Spider. That kid knows everything. He knows our whole operation. If the people harbor us, they will die. Do you understand?" His mention of Spider makes Palu flinch a little.

"Look, I got nothing." His tone dropped. "I got no plan. But I can protect this family. That I can do." He finished in confidence."And I know one thing. Wherever we go..this family is our fortress."

A few days later, Palu spent his morning playing with Tuk.

"I'm gonna get you," Palu called after Tuk as he chased her.

Tuk giggled and ran away. Every time Palu got close to Tuk her would pretend to trip and slowly down, letting her escape.

"You're so fast," Palu pretended to complain as he slowed his pace as Tuk giggled.

Finally Palu speeds up, grabbing her, throwing her over his shoulder and spinning around. After playing with Tuk for a few hours Palu goes to find Lo'ak. Ever since that night, he's been distant and Palu was starting to worry.

Palu found Lo'ak in a tree in the forest. The younger teen was sat watching the clouds in the sky. The eldest climbed up the tree, making sure Lo'ak could hear him. Giving his brother a chance to send him back if he wanted to be alone.

"Lo'ak, mighty warrior. What is going on in that head of yours." Palu said, placing his hand on top of his brother's head.

"I'm sorry." Lo'ak mumbled.

"For what?" Palu asked confused.

"I shouldn't have brought us to the old shack. I shouldn't have followed the tracks the avatars made." Palu set a hand on his brother's shoulder. He moved his hand to the back of his neck and brought Lo'ak's head to his chest.

"You had no way of knowing. And besides, I should've been the one to tell you no. Force you to go back home. This is not your fault and will never be your fault." Palu tried to reassure his younger brother. "I don't blame you for this, could never blame you for anything...though I do blame you for this." Palu joked pointing at the scar that stretched through his eyebrow making Lo'ak laugh.