┊ 2 ┊Wine and Cheater

❃  I was hiding under my sheets, refusing to move, while my mom tried to pull them off me. The gala was in just two hours, and she wanted me to get ready, but I really didn't want to go. I didn't understand why she always forced me to attend these events. I get that it's important for my brother's career, but that has nothing to do with me! And it was beyond frustrating to deal with a mother who wouldn't listen to anything I would say.

Leaving my home was supposed to offer me more freedom, but with a mom like mine, it seemed impossible. Her persistence in dragging me to these social gatherings was becoming tiresome.

"Danielle Mey Williams, you better get out of those sheets or else!" she warned. She used my full name when she was really mad, and that's exactly what she did now.

From my cocoon, I mumbled, "Please, Mom, I don't want to go there. I don't even know why you're forcing me to attend these." She didn't answer, and I thought she understood. But then she snatched the sheets away, and I tried to grab them back. She pointed her finger at me, and threw me a menacing look.

"You're going, and that's final," she said firmly.

"Okay, okay. I get it" I sighed in my mind, giving up on arguing. But I had one last request. "Okay, but can I wear my new suit instead of a dress? I think it'll look great," I suggested.
My mom was old-fashioned, and she didn't like the idea of me wearing a suit. But I loved them, and I had lots of stylish ones. She finally agreed, though she didn't seem happy about it.

I felt relieved as my mother agreed to let me wear the suit. It was a small victory, but at least I didn't have to endure the discomfort of wearing a dress. I quickly got out of bed and made my way to my closet to pick out the perfect suit for the gala.

As I slipped into the tailored pants and put on the blazer, I couldn't help but feel a sense of empowerment. Wearing a suit always made me feel confident and in control, and I knew I could handle whatever the evening had in store for me.

My mother watched with disapproval as I got ready, but she didn't argue further. Perhaps she realized that pushing me too much would only lead to more resistance. Regardless, I was grateful that she had agreed to my request.

With the suit on and my braids neatly styled, I felt ready to face the gala, or at least as ready as I could be. I took a deep breath and joined my mother in the living room, where she was also dressed in her elegant gown.

"You look nice, Danielle," she said, trying to hide her disappointment.

"Thanks, Mom," I replied, trying to sound appreciative. "And you look beautiful too."

She smiled faintly, still not entirely pleased with my choice of attire. "Well, let's go."

When we arrived at the venue, I stepped out of the car and took a moment to compose myself. I could hear the soft murmur of voices and the clinking of glasses from inside the grand hall. I took another deep breath, reminding myself that I could get through this.

As we entered the hall, my mother immediately went off to mingle with her friends and acquaintances. I glanced around, feeling a bit overwhelmed by the crowd.

Spotting Louis and in the distance, I made my way towards him. "Hey, sis! Looking good in that suit," Louis said, giving me a thumbs-up.

I responded with a thumbs-up as well. "I already want to go home though," I whispered to him.

"Try to stay there at least a couple of hours, then you can just leave."