Chapter 28: Reversed Currents

"No matter how prepared you are, there is still someone that will drive you to stutter, moreover spill a coffee to yourself"

🌊Reversed Currents🌊

...^-^......^-^......^-^......^-^...

"Helio!" Sage shouted in the distance. I didn't see him from the crowd until he came close enough. His height was taller than me by an inch. Maybe he'll grow a lot more in the future. 

Senior high school was a tough academic phase for students. It was like the doorway to college and a pathway to life—and I treated it exactly that way. I enrolled in STEM. The Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math strand in SHS. And of course, Sage followed my footprints. But I could say it was quite the opposite—that I was the one following him.

We were at the local high school, the same high school I'd gone to in my junior. Now, I am finally a senior. High school, of course.

"Sage, here!" I also yelled.

He was fitted and belonged to STEM while I was tinted and forced to it. Actually, no one forced me but myself. Initially, I had my mind on being a HUMSS student. Humanities and Social Sciences. However, thinking of the college and work opportunities in the strand made me embrace STEM. Nonetheless, I became an honor in my class. Not once but every time.

People might be looking at us now...But why would I care? I had my best friend talking to me so mind their own businesses.

It was the first day of classes. Meaning, we'll get to hunt for our classrooms and section. It was typical here at Saint Bernard National high school (SBNHS) to find where you'll be studying for the rest of the school year. It was like a ritual for most Bernadians.

"Where could be our classroom, Helio?" wondered Sage.

"I don't know. We could even be in different sections," I jokingly answered.

Our feet walked in synced as we go through the alien vicinity of the senior high school department. My hands were holding the handles of my cream bag. Every time I took steps, I felt the heavy baggage inside.

I leered at Sage as I realized something resting on my waist. He had his left hand wrapped around my waist the whole time. I shook it off.

"Why? I'm supporting your bag because it seems heavy," he grinned.

"Ah, okay."

"You want me to carry your bag?" with a husky voice. He patted my bag a few times.

"Don't bother."

We continued the hunt. There are lists posted beside the door of each classroom. Finding your name on one of the lists will be the first huge relief in SHS life.

I roamed my eyes on the first list. The classroom was the closest to the gate and can be an advantage when coming to school. My eyes arrived at thirty-five but I haven't seen my surname on one of those numbers.

Sage checked the list of the classroom parallel to mine. After a few minutes, he looked at me and shook his head.

We went to a dozen of classrooms but we still didn't find our name. I noticed the decreasing number of students who hunt for their section.

We went up to more floors and didn't welcome any exhaustion on ourselves.

Until in the last classroom.

"Helio! Your name is here." Sage called me while checking on some other lists nearby.

I was about to run when the news came to me. Sage moved a bit for me to see the list. I scanned with my eyes and saw my surname being on the first. I scanned to greater numbers.