CH1: Coup d'Etat

The morning light was slowly emerging from inside the thick fog that could be seen all around me. It's a muggy day; just like any other in Yokosuka.

I could feel for months now that something was brewing all over Japan. Whispers of unknown origin were falling short on my ear, displaying and expressing the ever unending nationalism of Japan.

I've never been associating myself with politics, but I have been studying them in depth because of my love for sociology and generally the Human Sciences. If I had to categorize myself in a political spectrum, I guess that would be conservative, both from a social and economic standpoint.

I love my country, and that is why I'm in the military. I just wish I wouldn't see it in this present state: inflation, the yen facing a downwards spiral, the entirety of our population aging rapidly, the United States still "assisting" us, black companies that contribute to the massive percentage of people committing suicide...I could go on and on.

I checked my watch: it's nearly six in the morning. The city is starting to slowly wake up from its night slumber. The trains and generally the public means of transport are in full swing. Cars are sparse but still apparent.

I could practically taste the smell of humidity embezzled with cold air and smoke, coming all the way to my mouth and nostrils. I was at my favourite spot. The top floor of my block where my flat is situated. It stood many floors up above the ground. Don't know how many exactly. Never had to count them.

I leaned my body forward to the metallic fence that the ceiling had. The sole reason they installed them, was because of a person who killed himself by throwing his body from the top of the building. Poor bastard. Never actually knew the guy, but he lived near my floor.

I cannot bring myself to sleep. I wasn't instructed to do so. That's why I'm up here. I'm literally on "standby". I couldn't bring myself to acknowledge the reason for my direct orders from the Academy, but I am to just stay awake, no matter what.

I bought some hours before two packets of Seven Stars, a popular cig brand here. I don't smoke, only occasionally, to relieve stress. I smoke once or maybe twice per 2 weeks. I am not addicted, but it helps alleviate stress, especially in times like these, where the future of my country is at stake.

I started smoking only recently though, so I can't say if I'm addicted to it yet. But, I'm an athlete, and I also want to control my body completely, not give way to weakness and addiction.

I got a packet from inside my pocket of my trench coat, along with my lighter, and lit one up. This is the second one of this night. It's my first time smoking a second one in such a short time. As I previously said, I'm not an avid smoker.

Bringing the damned thing to my mouth, I exhaled it, to not get completely chocked by the smoke. It's the worst, but it helps.

I blurted out a curse; just then, the door from next to me opened abruptly.

I mechanically reached for my pistol, an SFP9, semi-automatic. This is illegal to carry around here in Japan, but my whole existence is now illegal, so I'd better be armed and ready for any situation.

Just as I was about to fire, the person raised their hands and smiled. I let out a strong exhale.

"You wouldn't kill me, would ya?"

"It's the last thing I would do, but it's still on the list, Kazuya."

We both grinned a bit, and he reached for his pocket to toss me a beer can.

"I don't look like a fucking American, right? I wouldn't want friendlies to start firing at me like that."

"If you're that silent, everyone will fire at you, friendly or not. Don't sneak up on me like that, ever again."