Chapter Ten: Wolf

"We must find a time to stop and thank those people who make a difference in our lives." - John F Kennedy
PRESENT DAY
TERRY

"So this is the infamous Lucifer?" Terri asks the next day at recess.

"Geez, you don't have to use the word 'the' like I'm a species. I'm just one person, mind you," Lucifer says.

"That is terrifyingly awesome," Amaya says. She turns to me. "You know what's also awesome? How you were able to befriend Celeste Damarius in one day!"

"Uh...who said we were friends?" Celeste says.

"My thoughts exactly," Lucifer growls.

"Is your real name Lucifer?" Terri asks Lucifer.

"No, but it's the only name I really go by. Even the staff doesn't call me anything else."

"What's your real name then?"

"I'm not telling."

"Well, if we're going to be "acquaintances", we might as well be honest with each other."

"I'm not looking to be honest. Besides, your brother and I have gotten along just fine without telling each other our life stories."

"So what are we really doing?" Amaya asks.

"Finding the virus?" I suggest.

"Killing the virus," Celeste adds.

"Torturing the virus," Lucifer says.

"Dating the virus!" Terri jumps in.

Everyone glances at him awkwardly.

"What? He was hot."

"What virus? Are we talking about dating?!" a bull says, jumping in front of us. He stands next to another bull balancing a potted plant between his horns.

"Oh now look what you've done," the bull with the plant says.

"Hey, Ferd," Amaya says.

"Hi, Amaya," the bull with the plant waves.

"Shush, Ferdinand. I heard virus, and I heard dating, and I am intrigued!"

He speeds around Lucifer and then around me.

"It's none of your business," Lucifer says, correcting his hair.

"I mean, it kinda is..." Terri says.

We look at him.

"What?! The more the merrier if you think about it. If they know, then we can all kick his butt together, don't you think?"

"Whose butt are we kicking? What's happening? I swear, if you don't tell me what's going on I'm literally going to explode."

Terri turns to me and whispers. "I guess we kind of have to now."

"I got a virus mark," I say, moving my collar and hair out of the way to show him the X-shaped marking that still hadn't disappeared.

"Freakishly awesome!"

"He got it from fighting a virus," Amaya adds unnecessarily.

"Cool!" Bones says.

"You fought a virus?! You never told me you fought a virus?!" Celeste says out of a confusion and a little bit of jealousy.

"I froze his hand!" I scream, not wanting the story to turn into some wild concoction. "I fffroze his fffreaking hand! I did not pull a karate move on him. I did not seriously harm him. And I most certainly am not a big hero. He and some tiny little girl managed to get away with this glowing device. Mission failed, guys. Stop acting like I did something important."