almost perfect getaway

"Here we are" my mum told me whiles looking out the car window, towards a house I had never seen before "this is bringing me so many memories of when I was younger. You know your grandmother would have loved you to spend your summer here, whiles she was alive" she said, but her voice getting quieter and softer at the end.

"Should we start bringing the bags in?" I asked her trying to divert the subject to not make her cry like she had been doing before.

"Yes Niki, let's do that" she said before straightening her self our and walking out of the car. Once I saw her getting out, I did the same thing and went to the boot to grab the three bags that we had brought for the two months that we would be spending here.

We brought everything inside and I set the three bags on the entrance so that mum could do whatever she needed to do with them, and in the mean time I went exploring. The house was actually quite big, downstairs had a very spacious living room, next to it there was a marble kitchen that had the dinning table in the same room, but to the side. Then, near the entrance there was also a small bathroom. You could get to the next floor by the stairs that where in the corner of the living room. That floor contained three bedrooms, one that had a bathroom for itself, which was obviously going to be my mum's room, then my room was going to be the next biggest one and the last one was just going to be a spare one. Then in front of my room there was another bathroom which I was going to claim for myself. Then there was an attic which you could get in through some stairs that you had to pull down from the ceiling, but sadly I wasn't actually able to enter it which makes me think that we will probably not be using it.

After my whole self-tour, I went back down stairs and saw my mum unpacking a bit before turning around and passing me my bag with all my clothes, which is when I noticed her red and puffy eyes from crying and if I had to guess I would say she was crying over grandma's death.

My grandma was an amazing human who could lit up anyone's day without even trying, she always had a smile on her face, and loved going on adventures which is why I was so close with her, we were both big adrenaline seekers, and loved being able to explore new places and not know what we would find there. Because of all that, it surprised everyone when we got a call one day from the hospital telling us how she had a cardiac arrest at the age of 76 and they were not able to save her. That day my mum had her biggest melt down I had ever seen.

When her will was read out she gave her beach house to my mum because she remembered how much she used to enjoy it when she was younger and hoped that I would enjoy it the same, even though she was not there to witness it. After that I finished school for summer holidays and a few days later we were going on vacation to the exact beach house.

"Niki, come down stairs" my mum shouted after I was finished unpacking and was just scrolling on my phone trying to find something entertaining.

"so, you might have been able to see that the neighbors two houses down have two kids, twins to be exact, and they are around your age, so I've invited them over for dinner so that we could get to know them and you could potentially make some friends since I don't want you spending the whole summer indoors" mum said as soon as I entered the living room "but we don't have any food in the house so if you could be an angel and get me the food from this list" she said as she passed me a mini piece of paper.

"But mum, I don't even know where the shops are" I complained, not wanting to go as I was already tired from a five-hour drive and later I would have to actually socialize which I did not want to do.

"I thought you would say that, but there is a corner shop not too far away, where you can easily go there and buy what I need" she told me

"Ugh, fine" I responded her whiles walking away and towards the entrance. I slipped on my converses and opened the door before my mum told me to just go left and I would find the shop I was looking for.