Selkie

When you're older it's hard to remember thing that happened when you were little. But some events are burned into your memory. Unfortunately my strongest memory started to fade when I turned ten.

I was exploring the beach on a cold winter day in the middle of November when I found her. She was naked and covered in sand and seaweed, she looked like she had stayed on the beach the whole night. At first I thought she was dead but then she sat up on her hands and looked straight at me. It wasn't until that moment that I realized what she was. Her white seal coat lay under her, as white as the fallen snow. The wind chilled me to the bone as she opened her ice blue eyes, eyes like mine. Her hair was as red as fire except for several strands at the front of her face which were white like her coat.

I fell back into my butt as she narrowed her eyes and pointed at me, "On the eve of you eighteenth birthday we will meet again and when that day comes this coat will become yours, you cannot deny your destiny." She stood then and grabbed her Selkie Coat. She placed on her shoulders and jumped into the sea. My father found me several hours later still sitting in the sand staring at the spot where the Selkie had been.