Prologue - Noble

July 24th, 2552, 0731 Hours

“. . .ackage is on approach, over.”

“Copy that, we see you.”

Pulling my balaclava over my face I lean my head around the side of the transport warthog, getting a good view of the base.

A loose collection of buildings in a decently sized cluster with an area big enough for a couple Warthogs and a handful of Falcons to be parked comfortably. I turned my head a bit farther to the left to find my Spartan companion, clad in black armor that was more than a little rough around the edges - vastly different from the promotional vids and posters I had seen prior.

He hadn’t said a word since we were dropped off on Reach nearly four hours ago. I myself had drifted off fairly early into the ride.

We came to an abrupt stop once we made it to the center of the outpost, where the driver promptly ushered us out of the vehicle. Sighing, I grabbed my MA37 ICWS Assault Rifle and helmet in each hand, stuffed my PDA deeper into my front pouch, and checked to make sure my trauma kit was still hooked onto my pant leg.

Once I had secured my kit I quickly hopped off of the warthog and trailed after the Spartan towards what I assumed was the communications building. The building was positioned only a short distance away from where we were dropped off, past the Falcons parked neatly outside.

The door was already open as we approached.

*The Office of Naval Intelligence believes deployment of a Spartan team is a gross misallocation of valuable resources. . . I disagree.*

Walking up the steps into the bunker the Spartan in front of me was stopped as a mechanical arm shot out in front of him, preventing him from moving any further in. The owner of the arm revealed herself as a short haired woman with scars littered across her face, decked out in light blue Mk III Spartan armor. She studied the Spartan for a second before looking towards a man at the other end of the room. “Commander?”

The solid blue colored Spartan Commander, who I immediately recognized as Carter- the leader of Noble Team, glanced in our direction before turning his attention back to his terminal.

“So that’s our new number six.” A bigger man to Carter’s right noted the new presence. As ‘Six’ took a step forward and revealed me to the rest of the room, both Spartans paused, apparently not expecting me. “Who’s he?” The commander remained quiet - focused on his computer and ignoring the Spartan's question.

“Kat, you read his file?” Another Spartan farther left- whose helmet adorned a carved skull questioned. Kat scowled, looking towards Carter. She waited a few seconds before her features loosened and she gave a short sigh. “Only the parts that weren’t covered in black ink.” She replied before turning her attention towards me, her gaze hardening slightly.

“Anyone claim responsibility, sir?” Carter asked an image of Colonel Holland, silencing the room.

*ONI thinks it might be the local insurrection. Five months ago, they pulled a similar job on Harmony - hit a relay to take out our eyes and ears then stole two freighters from dry-dock. That cannot happen here. Reach is too damn important.* He paused. *I want that relay back on-line, Noble One.*

“Sir, consider it done.”

*Then I’ll see you on the other side. Holland out.*

The call now ended, Carter picked up his helmet and turned towards me and Six. “Lieutenant, Corporal.” He addressed us. “Commander, sir.” Six replies. “Commander.” I saluted. “I’m Carter. Noble Team’s leader.” He motioned towards the other Spartans as they slowly filed out of the room, “That’s Kat, Noble Two. Emile and Jorge, Four and Five.” He looked towards Six. “You’re riding with me Noble Six. Ross, you’re with them.” He put on his helmet as he pointed me towards the other three members.

Following Carter out of the building, I veered right towards the second Falcon, jogging after Kat, Emile, and Jorge. Everyone in the vehicle watched as I hefted myself aboard, sitting in one of the outside seats. “Considering none of us were told before,” Emile speaks up, “You got a name, kid?” I turn to look at him, seeing both of the other Sartans take interest as well. “Corporal Ross, sir." I replied, raising my voice just enough for it to be heard over the distinct roar of the helicopter. “Colonel Holland saw fit to have me assigned as Noble Team’s temporary Combat Medic!” “Well, Ross,” The man, Jorge, motioned towards me, “Welcome to Reach.”

___

This is a little something that's been completed for a little over a year now, so I figured I may as well post it already. It doesn't even break 1k words but it's the best I could do with just an opening cutscence.

I can't help but feel like Kat in Reach shaped my taste in women growing up.

Anways, if this gets enough attention I'll try an actually turn this into a full story. But, we'll see.

Hope you enjoyed this little prologue. Drop a vote so I can see if anyone's interested in a continuation.

Thanks,
loseer