CHAPTER 8

"Thanks for coming," Louis says to Zayn when he and Niall get out of their car. "It's kind of a family tradition to come to this lake every year, but my mom couldn't be here and my dad had to work, so I appreciate you coming, it's always funner with more people."

"Of course," Zayn says sincerely. "Niall's always happy to play with Liam," he laughs.

Louis makes sure all of his siblings get sunblock on, and Zayn puts some on Niall as well. The younger kids get life jackets also.

Once everyone is ready to swim, they get in the lake. Louis and Zayn are at the shore with Niall, Liam, and Harry. Louis laughs as he watches Harry splash Zayn.

Then, all of a sudden water's hitting his face and getting in his eyes. He blinks the water out until his vision clears. He stares for a moment, flabbergasted before he turns to Zayn who is laughing. "Not so funny now?" Zayn asks through chuckles.

"I can't believe you just did that!" Louis cries, rushing towards Zayn and sending a wave of water in his direction. Zayn shakes the water out of his hair and smiles at Louis.

Louis died of a heart attack.

Ok, so he didn't actually die, but it certainly felt like he did. It takes everything in Louis power not to talk Zayn and kiss him. So he just smiles back.

He sees the twins on a canoe and turns to Zayn. "Hey, you wanna try one of those?" he asks pointing at the girls.

"Sure. What about the boys though?" Zayn responds. They both turn to look at the kids who are playing in the water.

"I'll watch them!" Lottie says, seemingly coming out of nowhere, though it's obvious that she was listening to their conversation.

"Uh, great. Let's go then?" Zayn says and they begin heading to the shore to grab a canoe and put on some life jackets. They get in the canoe and stop paddling once they reach the middle of the lake.

They sit there in silence for a little bit, enjoying the scenery on the lake, and listening to the birds. Or at least that's how it started off. Louis thought it would be a good idea to shake the boat as a joke and next thing you know, the canoe's flipped and they're in the water.

After the initial shock they both begin laughing and Louis rushes over to dunk Zayn in the water. They play fight for a bit until they get tired. They lock eyes, but neither of them looks away, and Louis feels the urge to say something, but he doesn't know what.

Zayn has been thinking a lot about the two of them recently, and he really likes Louis. He wants something with him, and maybe Louis doesn't, but it's been agony having these feelings and not being able to do anything about them.

"So-"

"Can I kiss you?"

Next thing Zayn processes is the fact that Louis' lips are on his. He kisses back immediately, relief filling his entire body. Louis pulls away and looks at him with a threatening look. "You were serious, right?"

Zayn laughs. "Yeah, I was serious, Lou."

"Good." Louis kisses him again and they kiss for a few seconds before Zayn pulls away this time.

"Hold on. Not that I don't want to kiss you, but we should probably clear some things up," Zayn says and Louis pouts. "So you like me, I'm assuming?"

"Correct, now kiss me again," Louis says, leaning in and frowning when Zayn pulls back. "Wait. You like me, right?"

"Of course, I just think we need to talk about this," Zayn says. Louis attaches his lips back onto Zayn's for a quick peck before smiling at him.

"I like you. You like me. There, we talked," Louis says leaning into kiss him for the fourth time. He knows he's being desperate, but he's been crushing on Zayn since the day he met him, and now he finds out that it's not one-sided.

Zayn kisses back this time, his hand grabbing Louis' face as he kisses him. Once they pull apart Zayn looks at Louis with a serious face. "I just want us to be on the same page," he says. "I want to be in a relationship with you. Now you know what I want, what do you think?"

"I think that this is the best day of my life," Louis says. "Of course I'll be in a relationship with you. You're one of the best people I've ever met, even if you don't believe that. You make me happy. And being with you, and Niall, makes me happy. So yes. I want to be your boyfriend."

Zayn almost starts crying because of Louis' speech. This time, he initiates the kiss.

"Is it too early to say I love you?" Zayn asks, hesitantly.

"Probably," Louis says. "But it's ok because I love you too."

They manage to flip the canoe back over and bring it back to shore. Once the step out of the boat, Louis takes Zayn's hand.

"Oh my God, finally!" Lottie practically shrieks as she sees the two's interlaced fingers. Louis doesn't even get mad, just laughs.

He gives Zayn a quick peck on the cheek and heads over to the kids who are playing in the sand. "Hey guys," he greets them, "did you have fun with Lottie?"

"Yeah! She built sandcastles with us!" Harry says excitedly. "Will you build sandcastles with us, Louis?"

"Sure," Louis says, smiling. He sits down, not letting go of Zayn's hand and dragging him down with him. "Let's build some sandcastles, Zaynie!"

"Zaynie?" Zayn questions, laughing.

"What? You don't like it? I think it's cute," Louis teases. "Or would you rather me call you baby?"

"You," Zayn kisses Louis, "can call me whatever you like."

♡♡♡♡♡

"From the moment I met Louis, I knew there was something special about him. I was entranced. The more I got to know him, the more in love I fell with him," Zayn's voice is wavering as he recites his speech.

"I can't say I believe in destiny, but I know for certain that Louis Tomlinson and I were made for each other. Which is why I knew that day on the lake, that I was going to marry him," Zayn feels himself tearing up.

"Of all the people in my life, Louis has supported me one hundred percent, never judged, only supported," Zayn smiles as he stares into Louis' blue eyes. "Louis, I love you."

"The first time I met Zayn, I was compelled to approach him," Louis says, remembering their meeting at the daycare. "There was something about him that told me, I need to talk to him. I try not to think about where my life would be right now if I hadn't met Zayn."

Louis squeezes Zayn's hands. "My mother had passed away not too long before that, and I miss her everyday. But I know how proud she would be of me, and I know she would love Zayn just as much as I do," Louis says.

.......

When they finally kiss, the cheering is loud, especially from Lottie.

They're congratulated by all the guests, which includes Louis' family, Zayn's sisters, Clara, and even Daisy, the daycare owner. Clara gushes over Niall's flower boy outfit, and tells Louis and Zayn how happy she is for them, at least twenty times.

Once the night is over, they're riding away in their decorated car, heading straight to their honeymoon at the beach.