Chapter 10 - Instincts

Shio unfolded the paper and raised an eyebrow at the content. "It says, 'Shio, I have tracked down the dark guild who attacked your village and recently attacked Gray. I am going to go after them and wanted to offer you the chance to come with me if you choose to. If you want to come with me, meet me after dark in the Fairy Tail garden.'"

"Who is it from?"

"It's from Mystogan."

###

"He wants you to go with him to take down the dark guild?"

"Yep..." Shio said with her brow knitted together tightly. "Damn sleep magic..." she whispered as she shook her head and turned to Faelan.

"What do you think I should do?" she groaned, put the note down, placed her hands on either side and stared at it, hoping it would give her some answers.

"You want to go, don't you?" Faelan asked as if it wasn't really a question that needed to be asked.

"Of course. I want to rip those assholes to pieces and tear their throats out." She growled harshly, her jaw clenching.

"Then isn't it obvious what you should do?" the wolf raised his shoulders from his front legs, in what Shio learnt was hid form of a shrug.

"But...what about Gray?" she asked, staring wistfully towards the bedroom.

"It's an hour after dark. There is no time for that. He might have left already. Leave Gray a note. I think he knows you well enough by now to understand your decisions. If not, that's his problem." She glared at him, and he simply shrugged at her again. Sometimes she disliked his rationale, but she couldn't exactly prove him wrong.

With a deep breath, she closed her eyes and tried to imagine what would happen if she went. There would be a few options. She would go, Gray would understand and wait for her to return; she would defeat the guild, then come back and be with him. If she went and he didn't understand and disliked her for it, then he probably needed a kick up the arse anyway. On the other hand, if she didn't go, she knew that she would regret it. Shio did not wish to live with regret.

Faelan took her scrambling to find some sort of writing utensil as her answer. Once she found one, she flattened out the paper the best she could and began writing as fast as possible. It was getting darker by the minute, and if she was too late, she would have nothing to go on to pick up Mystogan's trail since he had left behind no scent, probably out of habit. She knew he was very good at destroying dark guilds and was a powerful S-class mage worthy of the highest praise.

After a moment, she held up the paper and began to read.

Gray,

Please read the note above before you read this.

I am so sorry for doing this right now. I am terrified that I will regret it forever if I do not leave now and take down this guild. More importantly, I will never be worthy of standing at your side as an equal. As someone who can fight alongside you and protect you, just as you would do for me.

I am unsure how long I will be gone, but I do not expect you to wait. I would be incredibly happy to return to you once this is over, but I want you to be happy. If that means that you don't wait for me, I will understand.

I will miss you with everything I have and think of you every day.

I love you.

Shio.

With a nod, she placed it on the counter in plain sight and ran out the door, shutting it behind her. Her decision was made, and she resisted the urge to look back as she sprinted to the Fairy Tail gardens. Once she arrived, she looked around for Mystogan, hoping desperately that she wasn't too late.