prologue

“get out of here- quickly!”

the burning sensation in his lungs was what kept him going, arms filled with unfinished projects as the man and his house staff all scrambled to get out of the burning house.

‘dammit… god damnit!’ was the only thought that was going on in his head.

kaveh knew better than to gamble all his fortunes away- but just when he thought that he would finally live comfortably after winning such a huge jackpot, his house suddenly caught on fire!

the concerned chatters of the staffs was toned down as he panted, sweat dribbling down his forehead, limbs giving out below him as his projects fell limp to the ground. with all the projects that he managed to save, he could at least get by a month or so if he sold these blueprints to other architects. but that would mean firing everyone who ever worked for him.

vermillion colored eyes stared at the burning house in front of him, feeling his hopes and dreams be burned along with it. as an up and coming architect in the nation of sumeru, he had a lot of plans filled out for him… if only he wasn’t such a gambler thirst for money.

the man was snapped out of his senses as a maid shakily taps him on the shoulder, conscious and scared of him.

“what is it?” he asked, brows furrowed in confusion as he looked at each and everyone of the staff- except one maid who was hysterically bawling in the background, who all looked as if they committed a grave sin.

“come on, speak up. the house is burning for archon’s sake.” an exasperated sigh left past his lips, urging the maid to talk once more.

with a shaky voice, she pointed at one of the rooms that the fire has no doubt consumed, the windows broken as fire spewed out of it.

“t-the mistress is still in the house…”

—-----------

with a loud and heavy gasp, kaveh woke up drenched in sweat. he can feel his heart thumping loudly against his chest as it tightened in fright – or maybe was it guilt?

his ears were still ringing as he stared at his hands that gripped the sheets, ‘what happened?’, he asked himself.

last he remembers, he was inside of a small room drinking his sorrows away.. how the hell did he end up in this place? the blond-haired male looked around him, eyes widening in realization when his gaze landed at the familiar setting in front of him.
this was his house… as a matter of fact – this was his parents house!

did someone find him in his miserable state and decide to bring him back home?

impossible! his parents were dead!

“what the-” he was cut off when the door was swung open, revealing a butler whom he remembered so well.

the man stood in front of him, hands behind him and stature straight as a ruler. he wore a simple uniform, and a crest pinned on the collar of his sash that was tied across his chest etched with his family’s symbol.

there’s no denying it, this was indeed that godforbid man of a butler whom his parents assigned for him when he was still young.

but… how is he here?

“young master, it seems that you are as excited as your parents for this joyous occasion.” the butler said, giving him a curt smile as he gestured the maids to enter his room, the women immediately going to work as kaveh still sat on his bed with confusion written on his face.

it seems that it was obvious that the butler sighed, clearing his throat as he urged for him to stand up.

“don’t tell me that you forgot your own wedding, young master?”

‘wedding – wedding?!’

multiple alarms went off in the blond’s head as he let himself get dragged by the older man. no – this can’t be! how can he get married when he was in fact a widow?! everyone in sumeru knows this. how can one be so cruel to arrange a marriage with him?

as kaveh was about to protest, his eyes landed at the mirror, staring at himself as he felt his heart stop for a moment.

where was his stubble? where were the bags that leeched under his eyes? where was the scar under his chin?

no no no no – this can’t be real.

touching his cheeks with a shaky hand, confusion and surprise filled him up as he pinched himself, making sure that he wasn’t at all hallucinating.

he was twenty again?