𝙋𝙍𝙊𝙇𝙊𝙂𝙐𝙀

I make my way through the clearing, squirrel in my jaws, and settle it at Iciclehaze's paws. The young retired elder casted a look over his shoulder to the catch, and offered me a smile. "Thank you, Sootpaw," he mrrowed, as he hooked the squirrel's nimble frame with his claws.
       "You're welcome, Iciclehaze," I mrrow back, before I turn away, and head off toward the other apprentice, Thistlepaw.
       "Good evening," he mewed as I approached, to which I return with a greeting. "It's going to be your first Gathering, aren't you excited?" The golden-brown tomcat gave a warm grin, and his icy blue eyes were gleaming with enthusiasm.
       "Absolutely," I exclaim, as I swish my tail high in the air. A smile curled upon my maw. "It's going to be so exciting. What was your first Gathering like?"
       "Well, the Clans have only had four Gatherings so far," he replied slowly. "I went on the Clans' second moon. There was no apprentices in the other Clan, but last moon, there was Plumpaw and Thrushpaw. I mostly hang out with the young warriors."
        "Wow," I whisper aloud, astonished. "What are Plumpaw and Thrushpaw like?"
        "Plumpaw is the medicine cat apprentice," he replied with a large grin, "so she doesn't talk to us apprentices much. She mostly talks to Windnose and Geyserripple, the IvyClan medicine cat." He gave a dramatic pause, and I lean in with intent ears. "Thrushpaw is pretty awesome; I think you'll like him."
        "You'll show me around the Gathering. . . right?"
       "Of course," he replied, almost puzzled by the inquiry. "I won't leave your side, Sootpaw."
        I peer towards the sky; the sun had fallen behind the trees, and I bolt to my paws. Thistlepaw followed after, and we both head toward the camp entrance, where most of the warriors were Gathering. Being in a jungle meant a long trek to the Gathering, my mentor, Heatherneedle, had explained earlier in the morning.
      We began the traipse to the Gathering; the terrain was muddy, and the sounds of the jungle sprang around me. My fur pricks up with anticipation. As I make my way after Thistlepaw, Heatherneedle wraps around from the front to meet me.
      "Remember to be on your best behavior," the sandy shecat mewed. "You're representing JasmineClan, so you need to be your best. Show IvyClan the future of JasmineClan is presentable." The shecat gave a large grin as she continued. "And have fun, alright?"
        "Right," I mew in reply, as I try to swallow down my urge to bounce around like a kit. I fluff up my pelt, appearing myself to look bigger, as I watch the trees move way to a large clearing, with vines swinging throughout, and a large tree in the middle.
         As I glance around, I spot tension within my own Clan. I frown, but don't pressure it. Thistlepaw emerges to me, and prods me away toward the clearing.
         "Here is the Gathering," he mewled, and as the Clan shuffled into the empty clearing, he nosed me away. "Come on, let me show you the apprentices' area. It's called the Apprentices' Patch."
        "The. . . Apprentices' Patch?"
        "Yeah," he mewed. As we make our way toward the patch, I let out a gasp. It was the shadiest spot in the clearing, with clovers throughout. We settled upon the patch, and I slump into a crouch as I await the other Clan's arrival with anticipation.
         It wasn't long before a ragged shecat strided into the clearing; her aura was of confidence, and she boldly made her way to Jasminestar with a narrowed gaze. The Clans began to mingle, and quickly, the clearing rumbled with chatter.
       "There he is," Thistlepaw exclaimed, as he leapt to his paws. I peer over to spot a tuxedo feline trotting over.
        "Thistlepaw," he exclaimed, and the two pressed heads against each other in a welcoming purr. The tomcat then swiveled his cranium toward me. "JasmineClan has a new apprentice?" he prompted, as he waved his tail. I wave my tail back, before I rise to my paws.
        "My name is Sootpaw."
        "Thrushpaw."
        "Sootpaw is one of the best hunters in JasmineClan," Thistlepaw boasted, as he rested his tail on my back. "He caught a mouse on his first day."
        "Thistlepaw, you don't need to tell him that," I exclaim, as I duck my head, flustered. No cat would let it go. 
        "That's sick," Thrushpaw exclaimed. "I didn't catch my first kill until a week after I learned to hunt."
        "See?" Thistlepaw mrrowed as he cuffed my ear. "Don't be so modest! You are quite the hunter, buddy."
        I give a grin. Wow, I thought silently, before he turned toward Thrushpaw to inquire of IvyClan's business. The tomcat quickly tensed up, and replied, "I think Ivystar will say that."
       Me and Thistlepaw exchange glances, but don't press it further, as Jasminestar lets out a yowl for the Gathering to begin. "May both Clans listen our words," she yowled, and beckoned toward Ivystar, whom leapt up the tree beside her. "The Gathering shall commence."
        I lean in against Thistlepaw intently, though noticed tensions fill the air as warriors exchanged glances with one another.
        "It has come to my attention, and to both Clans' attention," Jasminestar begins, as she casts a glare toward Ivystar, "that IvyClan has invaded our eastern borders, and trekked over the land we split and agreed upon."
        A gasp escapes my maw. How had I not known this? I cast a glance toward Thistlepaw, who's eyes widened with horror. "Thrushpaw, what in StarClan–"
        "Be quiet," Thrushpaw retorted, as he shifted uneasily.
        "These accusations are true," Ivystar replied bluntly, and horror filled me as a smirk curled upon her muzzle. "I have ordered my warriors to invade JasmineClan territory."
         The fur along Jasminestar's spine rose, and a growl emerged from her throat. "It is against StarClan to trespass into another Clan's territory, let alone take it," she snarled, as her ears flattened upon her head. Many JasmineClan warriors shifted away from the IvyClan warriors with a hiss.
         "How could Ivystar do it and admit it proudly," I exclaim, bewildered by the action. I cast a look toward Thistlepaw, who was casting a glare toward the leader.
         "StarClan was wrong when giving IvyClan territory," she began slowly, as her gaze scoured the Clans. "JasmineClan lives luxuriously in their shaded forests. I intend for my Clan to live well, and not suffer from another Clan's success."
          "There's marshlands in the unclaimed territory," Jasminestar interjected, with her eyes narrowing upon the white feline. 
         Her response was a cackle. "But that wouldn't be fun."
         Fun? I stare at the leader, then Thrushpaw, with bewilderment. I grew to notice the other apprentice was slender, and similar to his Clanmates. Sympathy welled in my chest, though the leader's presumption of war being fun petrified me.
         "You're a monster," Sweethawk, one of my Clanmates, yowled out with a bushed tail. "No true leader of StarClan would cause a war."
         "Look at my Clan," she screeched, and silenced the warrior with haste. I glance around; the cats were slender figured. "You will give up your territory, and there shall be no bloodshed. That is my final offer. Otherwise," a giggle emerged from her lips, "my warriors will enact drastically."
          I survey IvyClan; the deputy, a black-and-ginger calico, seemed uneased by their leader's choice. The medicine cats, presumably Geyserripple, seemed indifferent, while Plumpaw stared with horror. Many warriors of IvyClan were agreeing with their leader's words. I finally land my gaze on Thrushpaw; he seemed to be putting on a façade.
          "Look, the moon," Thistlepaw whispered, and I glanced toward the sky; the warm white moon was clouded by wispy blue clouds. My heart sank. Oh, StarClan, no. They were angry.
         "This Gathering is over," Jasminestar yowled, and leapt down from the tree.
         There was a brief moment of silence, before Ivystar yowled, "IvyClan, now!"
         My eyes widened; Thrushpaw whirled around to face me and Thistlepaw, with his claws unsheathed and his eyes glistening with hostility. Thistlepaw reeled back with horror. "What in St–" he was abruptly interrupted, as Thrushpaw used the opportunity of surprise to pin the feline.
          "Thistlepaw," I yowl, and descend into battle. I ram into the enemy apprentice with a snarl, and unsheathe my claws as the tuxedo cat stumbled away. "How dare you!"
         "I am loyal to IvyClan, and Ivystar," Thrushpaw snarled, though I noted a glint of uncertainty in the tomcat's gaze, which quickly faded away. He lunged toward me, to which I was easily pinned by the older apprentice. I felt pain explode in my chest as the tomcat clawed.
         "Sootpaw, no," Thistlepaw exclaimed, as he tore the feline off from behind. He let out a snarl, to which Thrushpaw whirled around to claw the apprentice; quickly, I bolt to my paws, and charge into the cat once more.
         "Thrushpaw," a scream emerged from the crowd, and as I turned, I was immediately flung. Slammed into a tree, I fell into a daze, and could barely make out an older version of Thrushpaw tearing into Thistlepaw with a snarl.
          The world quickly faded away; the sounds of Thistlepaw screaming burned my ears as I fell limp onto the ground.