𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙒𝙊

The cats gathered for a meeting. I glance toward the medicine den, where Thistlepaw remained taken care of by Windnose. I noticed the medicine cat prepare poultices, and laid out bundles of cobwebs with haste.
       I turn my attention back toward Jasminestar and Silkyreed. The two cats exchanged hushed words, before Jasminestar let out a yowl, "We are to be attacked at any time now. Silkyreed will be leading a scout team to investigate the territory."
       "Is it wise to split the Clan?" Heatherneedle spoke up, as she strided up next to me. "Less warriors in the camp means-"
       "They will not be venturing far." Jasminestar nodded to Silkyreed. I began to notice how ruffled the golden brown bengal was; the leader was so stressed that she hadn't bothered to take care of herself. I flick my eyes to Silkyreed. The gray-and-russet tortoiseshell seemed to be more exhausted than paranoid. "They'll only be checking up until the training grounds."
       Heatherneedle, although clearly not convinced, settled back down next to me, and we exchanged glances. Her light amber eyes were round with concern; the unease forced my fur on end.
        "Silkyreed, Pantherskip, and Vixenrose will venture out. Yowl if you need help."
        The deputy beckoned toward the two warriors, and silently, they made their way out of camp. I watch them with my gaze; each one was tense, with their claws out, and ears pinned - battle ready. I nearly held my breath as I watched them disappear in the undergrowth.
          "Now," Jasminestar began, as she beckoned toward the queens. Oatlion made her way forward, whereas Elderberrymorning protested.
          "This is all a mistake, Jasminestar," she mewed, as she casted her eyes to the nursery, where the kits were forced in lockdown. "Ivystar would never direct her warriors to-"
          "I have heard enough," Jasminestar snarled, as she swung her face close to the queen's. Elderberrymorning recoiled back, with her hackles lifted. "You and Oatlion will be defending the nursery. IvyClan has fallen into the paws of the Dark Forest. There is no telling they won't target the kits."
            A gasp emerged from my jaws, bringing several glances over. Would Ivystar really order her warriors to attack the nursery? I glance toward Heatherneedle, who also looked taken aback. I begin to tremble from the thought. Am I going to die. . ?
             "Sootpaw," the fur along my spine rose as my name was spoken, "you will be guarding the elder's den."
            "Alone?" Heatherneedle interjected, as she wrapped her tail tightly around me. I felt a wave of comfort at my mentor's exclamation.
         "I can still fight." Risingrapids rose from the crowd - his slate gray fur was ruffled, and his limbs were stocky. "I might be slow, but Sootpaw's agility can balance that." He casted me an encouraging look, to which I return in a feverish smile.
        "What about Iciclehaze?" I speak up.
        "He'll be hiding in the den," Jasminestar replied. "If we need to, Risingrapids and Sootpaw will help Iciclehaze in an evacuation to the untouched borders. Oatlion, Elderberrymorning, you will also help the kits out to the border if we need to."
         Oatlion gave a curt nod, whereas Elderberrymorning hesitated. After a moment's pause, she gave a small sigh, and turned her head away.
         "Sweethawk, Heavymoon, Heatherneedle," Jasminestar glanced to each cat as the name was spoken, "we will be fighting the invaders; when the others come back, each of us need to find a pair to battle with. We cannot defeat them if we're alone."
        Sweethawk nodded, and made her way to Heavymoon, whom dipped his head back. Heatherneedle shifted with unease as the two paired, but glanced toward me with a mew, "Are you going to be alright?"
         "I. . ." I didn't know. I stare back; the only feeling I could comprehend was misery, and I assume she had caught it, because she rested her chin upon my head.
          "It's okay to be scared. We're all scared. I promise you won't die."
          I shift back, and let out a heavy breath. Slightly comforted, I glance toward the direction where the patrol disappeared.
          Then, a caterwaul of yowls exploded the camp, and the three warriors dashed in with a scream.