Chapter 29: Swampy

"No matter how prepared you are, there is still someone that will drive you to stutter, moreover spill a coffee to yourself"

🏞️Swampy🏞️

...^-^......^-^......^-^......^-^...

"Where are you going?" My mom asked after she noticed my presence even though she was quite focused on the book she was reading on the couch.

"Just outside," I reasoned.

"Going for a secret date?" She turned her head to me, looking nonplussed—she paired it with a smile.

"That's not it...I'm with Berhan," I answered with irritation.

"Ooh~" She looked wacky. "Well, have fun!"

Outside greeted me with a bright sunny day. The first person I saw was Berhan. He was standing and waiting outside the gate, wearing a casual black polo. Not forgetting his eyeglasses. His ginger hair reflected the sunlight like shiny pumpkins.

"Berhan!" The closer I got to him, the more I smelled his perfume. He seemed different today and smelled different. He'd only use perfumes for certain occasions. Maybe he'll attend something after our loitering.

"I smell alcohol with your perfume." While my nose runs like a bunny near him.

"Really? Then I won't use perfumes from now on." He also sniffed himself before fixing his hair a bit.

"What? No. My nose is just weird. Keep spraying it."

We synced our steps while walking. I'd go faster leaving him behind, but he'd still catch up quickly.

My eyes roamed around as we loiter without having to decide where to go. I just followed Berhan's steps. I couldn't ask where we'll be going since I thought of letting him lead the way. We've gone to numerous places already by walking and I could feel my feet starting to tremble.

Berhan was walking in front of me. My eyes noticed how tidy he wore the black polo. My eyes slid into his shoulders heeding on how broad it was, broader than mine. I questioned myself: what does this guy eat to get big like this? My eyes slid lower to see his hands burrowed into both pockets of his trousers.

"Ah!" I accidentally bumped him on his back when he stopped walking. I bolted my eyes and covered my face with my hand.

I felt an immediate palm resting on my forehead caressing the superficial pain. "Are you alright?"

As my eyes opened I saw Berhan with a bothered look while fidgeting his fingers on my forehead. Actually, it was my nose that was hurting.

"Why'd you stop?" I turned my head to my left finding ourselves in front of a welcoming shop.

"We're here. You said you love coffee, right?" My eyes lingered inside the cafe. It brought a whimsical ambiance that felt like those twenty-four-seven stores that you'd go to at midnight just to buy ice cream while raining.

He opened the door while I stared directly at the menu. I couldn't do anything but enter admiring the authentic aesthetic of the place. My mind officially woke up because of the coffee beans I can already smell.

"Want me to order?" Berhan insisted but I counteracted.

"No, I'd love to order...Just find a table. What do you want?" I said with rushing vocals.

"Anything—anything you want me to drink."

"Great~" I continued looking at the menu while Berhan was finding a seat for two.