The accident

It was just an average summer day, people walking their dogs, playing catch across the street. It was my 10th birthday and I wanted to have a nice picnic, so later that day we headed to the park. On our way there, we stopped by the library to turn in some books, but when we headed out we got held at gunpoint, the perp shot me, my mother and father. They died later in the ICU while I was in a coma. When I woke up my grandma took me in, and ever since that accident, I haven't said a word to anyone but my Nan. It's hard being a 15 year old girl that doesn't talk, especially at school. But, all of my teachers know why I don't speak. I don't have many friends as you can see, but I have one friend, his name is James. And right now at school there is a new student, and I have to show him around.

"Hi. I'm Hayes, what's your name?" I pull out my white board and begin writing. Elisabeth. But you can call me Ellie. When I look up to show him his eyes are open fairly wider than usual. "Well it's nice to meet you!" He sticks his hand out and I do as well. We start walking around campus and we stop at the lunchroom, since it's lunch time. Would you like to sit with us? I write down. He has a small smile on his face and he nods, "I would love to." We get our lunch and head to the table. This is James. When they introduce themselves we get to talking. Well, they get to talking. "So, where did you move from?" Hayes finishes his food. "North Carolina." I start writing down something I'll regret. Do you have a girlfriend? He laughs in response. "No, but I'm guessing you don't have a boyfriend either?" I can instantly feel my cheeks heat up. James grabs my hand making me feel a lot more calm. "No she doesn't, she hasn't ever had one." James leans over the table and whispers something I can't hear, and Hayes starts to laugh. I cross my arms making language with my body. We all head our separate was for class but Hayes pulls me aside. "I have next class with you, do you want to walk together?" I nod my head, not being able to grab my board. "Great! I'll meet you at the bathrooms." He surprises me with a kiss on the cheek, and heads to class. I walk in the room and take my seat. "Ellie, do you know the answer to this equation?" I write it down and hold up my board. "Correct!" Not too long later the bell rings and I go meet Hayes at the bathroom. I feel someone's hands on my shoulders giving me a hug. I turn around and find Hayes. "Hey sweetie! Is that alright? If I call you that?" I laugh and nod my head. As we walk to class he grabs my arm and interlocks his. We did get looks but I don't care. As he opens the door he says "After you, madam." And I laugh. I take my seat in the back where I always do and he sits next to me. He leans over and whispers in my ear. "You have a cute laugh" I smile and write on a piece of paper, Thank you, I only laugh when I'm with you <3. And I pass it to him. As he opens it, he smiles, and then he writes back. Why don't you have a boyfriend? I answer. No one has really asked me out before.. I pass it back hesitantly. He leans over and whispers again. "Would you like to go on a date with me?" I smile. I'd love too :) I pass the note and he says, "Is 7 okay?" 7 is perfect ;).