Chapter 9-10

It isn't unusual for Bam and me to sit in silence. Our silence now, though, had more to do with us trying to work out different scenarios than not wanting to chitchat. "What's the plan?" he asked finally. "This is your hunt."

"Well, we could follow her, but in order to do that we've got to figure out where she'll be. There's got to be someone driving a car."

"Do you think we should try and figure out where they parked?"

"That would be a start." I leaned back in my seat. "How are we going to do that without getting spotted ourselves?" Bam leaned over and reached toward me. I startled and backed up as much as the seat would allow. He laughed. "Chill out, I just need to get something out from under your seat. I'm not trying to grope at you or anything."

I nodded, still cautious and caught off guard. "Instincts," I explained. "You're reaching into my territory. Warn me next time, or you might get hit." I settled back down. "Is it that bad with you guys?" I moved out of the way so he could reach under the seat. "It can be. Usually, I can control it, but if you catch me off guard I can't guarantee which response you're going to get."

"Flight or fight?" he asked as half of his arm disappeared beneath the chair. "Yes," I said, watching him curiously. "You better not tell me there's a bomb under there."

"Nope." He grunted and retrieved the item at last. "They're better than the scope," he said, handing me binoculars. They were heavy in my hands. "I don't carry bombs around," he said. "There are grenades in a bag under one of the back seats, though."

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" He looked out the window. "Do you think you could track them by yourself without being seen?" I tapped the edge of the binoculars on my thigh. "Most likely. Why? What are you thinking?"

"I could drive down the road and find some cover to park under. You could go track them and find Sana's car. That way, you don't have to worry about me not being able to keep up." It didn't sound like that bad a plan, but there was one problem.

"What happens if I spot the car and it takes me twenty minutes to get back to you, let alone find you if shit hits the fan?" If he hadn't been wearing the oil, I could have found him if something happened. Since he was, it would make it more difficult for me to track him.

"I could wedge the van deeper into the woods?" I looked at the trees so closely knit together. "You'll scratch the van up and make too much noise." He pointed at the corner of the windshield. "I could park it between those trees right there." There was a break in the trees that I hadn't noticed. It wasn't much of a break, but it would be enough to hide a small car. The problem was, we weren't in a small car, but if Bam was confident that he could do it, I wouldn't doubt him.

He'd taught me a lot in the past several years and I respected the fact that he had a lot more experience than I did. Granted, my trust in anyone's judgment only goes so far. I grabbed the handle and pushed the door open. I turned to tell Bam to wait in the car when I saw the headlights at the far end of the road. I ducked down in my seat. "Shit, duck!" Bam ducked. "What?"

"There," I said, lifting the binoculars to my eyes as soon as the light passed. I had good eyesight, but lycanthropy didn't grant me a bird's-eye view. The binoculars helped, even if they did cast a sick green glow. I instinctively aimed them at the driver's side mirror.

If I was going to see who was driving, that was where I needed to look. Unless they didn't adjust their mirrors. If that was the case, I was screwed. The face of the driver was familiar. It was the man that had been wearing the baggy jeans in the clearing. I checked the passenger's side, and Sana's profile came into view. I waited until I saw the car, a Cavalier, slow for the stop sign ahead. "Start the van, and follow them."