Chapter 15-16

I woke out of a dreamless sleep wondering why. Someone was touching my hair. The realization hit me with a rush of fear, and I rolled out of the bed in a fluid motion that had nothing to do with human grace. The pads of my feet landed on the floor with a soft thud and I looked up into Sana's honey-colored eyes.

Her hand stopped in mid-motion and she let it fall into her lap. "You're cute when you're asleep," she said and curled her legs up under her body. She leaned back against my pillows. "Why did you wake me up?" I asked, sounding grumpy. "Roseanne called. She wants you to meet with her tonight. She has a reservation at Francesca's."

I just looked at her. Francesca's was an Italian restaurant in the city. It was by reservation only, and they usually put a person on a week-long waiting list. I'd been there only once and that was for a friend's birthday party.

I never knew food could be so expensive. It was classy as all get-out...fine dining for the best dressed and the richest. I couldn't believe what Sana was telling me. "You look shocked," she said. "You don't believe me, do you?"

"I would say no, that I think you're joking, but I'm afraid you're not."

"Lykos's honor." She grinned. "She wants you to meet her there at seven." Sana crawled out of bed and headed for the door. She stopped in the doorway, turning to look at me. "You'll want to wear something nice."

"What if I don't go?" I asked. "Trust me, Lisa. You don't want to test her kindness." The look in her eyes was very serious. I nodded. Surely, I could find something nice? I looked at the clock. I'd slept through the entire day. The red numbers glowed brightly in the dim lighting. It was six o'clock.

"You're fucking kidding me!" I hissed at it. I had less than an hour to get ready. I still had to take a shower, find something to wear, and get there. I took the dress that I'd worn once to a witch's ball off a hanger. It was one of the few expensive outfits I own.

I grabbed everything I needed, trying to hurry. Sana peeked around the corner of the door. "By the way," she said, "where'd you go last night?" I'd gotten home just as the sun was rising. The note had still been on the coffee table. I'd thrown it away, thinking that she'd slept through the whole thing. "Police business."

She nodded, turning to go. "Sana," I said, catching her attention. She paused. "Hmm?"

"Do you happen to know a wolf named Jungkook Jeon?" Her eyes widened. "Why? Was there another murder? Do you suspect him?"

"Answer my question first," I said, "and then I'll answer yours."

"Yes," she said, leaning against the door frame. "I know him."

"How?" I asked. "He's the pack's gamma."

"Gamma?"

"Alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon..."

"Ah," I said, "the whole pack is based on the Greek alphabetic numerals?"

"Yes."

"So, he's third?" I asked. "Just below you?" She gave me a look. "I keep telling you more than I should," she said. "I can't tell you any more than that, Lisa. Besides, you never answered my questions."

"Yes," I said, "there's been another murder."

"Do you suspect him?" I wanted to tell her, yes, I did, but I didn't know how much to tell her, so I decided not to give her a yes or no answer. "I don't know. What do you know about him?" She looked thoughtful. "He's a nice guy," she said, "but he's got a horrible temper." I hadn't noticed. "How horrible? Horrible enough that he'd kill someone?" Sana shook her head. "Honestly," she said, "I don't know."