v. The Fat Lady Can't Sing

"Welcome, welcome, to another year at Hogwarts," Dumbledore said, walking up to his podium. "Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, professor."

"Of course," Hermione said, clapping her hands with everyone else. "That's how he knew to give you the chocolate, Harry."

"Potter, Potter," Draco pssted, Harry, Ron and Masey turning to him. "Is it true you fainted? I mean you actually fainted."

"Shove off, Malfoy," Masey rolled her eyes.

"How did he find out?" Harry asked, keeping his head down.

"Just forget it," Hermione told him.

"Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher has decided to retire, in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs," Dumbledore continued with his speech. "Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place has been taken by none other then our own Rubeus Hagrid." Everyone applauded him, especially the Gryffindors. "Finally, on a more disquieting note, at the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the dementors of Azkaban. Until such a time  Sirius Black is captured. The dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now, whilst I've been assured that their presence won't disrupt our day-to-day activities, a word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They'll not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one you, give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of the dementor to be forgiving. But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times." Dumbledore waved his hand and put out a candle. "If one only remembers to turn on the light." He waved his hand again and the candle lit.

🌺

The Gryffindors stood outside their common room. The fat lady in the picture was trying to break a glass with only her voice and wouldn't let anyone in until she did. She ended up screaming and breaking the glass on a pillar behind her.

"Fortuna Major," Harry said, for what felt like the hundredth time.

"Yes, all right," The fat lady said, the door beginning to open. "Go in."

They walked into the common room, talking about how the fat lady can't sing.

"Is she still doing that after three years?" Harry asked.

"She can't even sing," Harry and Seamus said at the same time.

The poor fat lady. All she wants to do is sing.