Spotlight for Awhile

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

"Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen, everybody looks stunning tonight and there are a hundred and one reason for getting dressed up elegantly and ravishingly because tonight we will be having a Red Carpet Premiere. Welcome to the Golden Fashionista Awards 2016! The much-anticipated social gathering of fashion icons to take the world of fad and craze! Without further ado, to kick the ball rolling... let's paint the town red and roll out the red carpet for the grand entrance of our gorgeous fashion designers as they take a walk of fame. Let's give them a big round of applause!"

The resonating sound of cheers of the crowd can be heard in the four corners of the venue. In a luxurious room with black velvet curtains hanging on the wall covering the moonlit sky with the fancy food on the side made from highly renowned chefs and of course the priceless wine as the refreshment for every parched throat of a notable individual celebrating. 

Elegance is shouting in the shades of black, red, and gold as it can be seen everywhere from the tablecloths, decorations, and every clothing of these people. Yet, a very cliché situation wherein a duckling came from the middle class of society is lost on this occasion. But she was hiding in the form of a beautiful swan.

  Joy and fast tick-tock of her heart– emotions felt by Elise, an ambitious creature who is hungry for the attention of fame and fortune that she will be one of the players in the world of society rulers particularly in the fashion industry. 

This is her rare opportunity, once in a lifetime, and she will do everything to hide even the tiny bit that screams the sign of proletarian and inferiority. It was a blessing in disguise that Victoria, her friend, felt sick and was not able to attend this important occasion so she was asked to represent. 

She is not an atrocious woman, not a gold-digger. She is just an ordinary girl who yearns to taste the saccharine of this challenging and tiring life to those people like her. She wants to feel being in the spotlight even for a night.

One after one, the main figures of this event are being called upon to be introduced as they walk in the majestic red carpet and pose in front of the dazzling lights of cameras. 

Elise is making herself ready, shaking every part of her gown as if every particle of dust is approaching. She had that confidence like a lion in the jungle that every head would turn as she set her feet on the carpet. 

Although she was panicking earlier as she had the same purse with another guest. It is fortunate that she brought a paper bag and hid it there. Thousands of butterflies are swirling around in her stomach, not because of nervousness but the excitement that she will meet the attention of everyone. 

Until the fashion designer before her had the same dress as to what she wears. From every cut of pattern, the color of every thread of the fabric, they are twins. Two peas in the pod on the outer but sparkling gold and dreary gray in the inner. 

She had another card left, the capelet coat. Although it seems inappropriate to wear an outer garment, she would not lose this chance. Luck is still on her side as they contrast in shoes, hairstyle, and accessories.

"May we call on Miss Victoria. But unfortunately, she cannot attend but don't fret our beloved guests because her dearest friend whom she declared as her partner in designing attended in her place. Let's welcome, Miss Elise."

Drops of cold sweat are rolling down her cheeks as she was called upon. Well, the emcee and Elise are very alike in shoes. She cannot go on anymore and she decided to take off her shoes. She slowly retreated and walked in deafening silence.

"Oh! Elise, why are you going back? She called your name."

Her face turned into a deep flush because she wrapped herself into the spotlight, not in the light of fame but shame. She is not Cinderella, who had a prince willing to save her. It is her fault alone to desire something that does not belong to her. Just one night– is wishful thinking, an illusion.

The End.