Nineteen

Gauthier rode like all the daemons of Hell were after him. Crouched low, he spurred his horse to move faster. Hooves thundered on the road, scattering people and livestock as he came upon them. Curses and raised fists followed but he paid no heed. He was late and if the King discovered where he'd been, well, he didn't want to think about the punishment he'd receive.

Westhyl was still over two days away and he was supposed to have been back yesterday. He had left Kaladhin later than he should have, having discovered some very interesting things while he was there. So, he had delayed, digging deeper into their magnificent library, seeking answers to the questions that continued to pop up with every new nugget of information he unearthed. When he realized how fast the time had flown by, he knew he was going to have to practically fly to get back in time. And he prayed he didn't run into any more delays.

Trying to distract himself from what possibility awaited once he returned, he cast his mind back to the last few days. Particularly the last night he spent with the Gypshens, along with the mysterious woman who both mesmerized and now frightened him.

After she had finished her story and disappeared, he followed his friend to another area of the camp. There, he had found benches and tables set up around yet another clearing, only this time the tables were full of men along with a few women, drinking and either casting die or playing cards. He had his choice of ale, wine, or Tulinka. He chose the ale, if only because he didn't want to get drunk too fast. There was gambling to be done and, if he was lucky, coin to be won.

Settling himself at one of the tables, he happily joined the men in a game of die. The Gypshens, much to his surprise, didn't try and cheat him and he felt himself enjoying their company more and more. The men joked constantly, laughing easily as they teased him unmercifully. But it was all in good fun and when he returned their banter, they laughed uproariously and told him if it wasn't for his ugly face, he'd make a fine Gypshen himself.

After several hours, the men put the die and cards away, although the alcohol still flowed. Small plates with salty snacks and flatbreads appeared, and Gauthier helped himself, staving off the inevitable inebriation as long as possible. When the Gypshens began rearranging the tables and benches, he lent a hand while wondering what was coming next. The benches were arranged in a circle around the open area, people taking a seat as the conversation buzzed with anticipation. Gauthier joined them, his gaze traveling the area as he sought some clue as to what the Gypshens seemed so excited about.

He heard the music before the rest of the Gypshens appeared. Several men and women entered, playing stringed instruments, blowing pipes of varying lengths, and banging small drums. Several youngsters held small, round objects, open on one side with discs fitted around the rim. They shook the objects continuously, creating a sound similar to jingling harnesses, only much more pleasant, and periodically thumped the closed side with the palm of their hand. The music was loud and unrestrained, and Gauthier found his head bobbing in time to it.

The musicians entered and circled once, then arranged themselves on several benches left empty. They continued to play as the next group of Gypshens entered. Gauthier's foot kept time to the music and his face beamed, although he didn't realize he was smiling so broadly.

When the next group entered, he straightened, his delight increasing. Gypshen women of all ages now entered the circle. Twirling, dipping, and swaying, they danced in a way Gauthier had never imagined. He was used to the stately waltzes of the King's court or the folk dances done at the festivals and sometimes in the taverns. But this was like nothing he had ever seen before. It was impossible to follow a single person as they circled, weaving in and out, their brightly colored dresses flaring and mingling with each other. Gauthier clapped in time to the music as he continued watching, his smile now encompassing his entire face. The overall feeling he had was joy. Joy at being alive and experiencing everything the world had to offer.