Thanksgiving Break

*Jewel’s POV*

Relieved, I hang up one last shirt in my closet. I stand back with my hands on my hips and admire my hard work.

“That’s it,” my mom says, “we’re officially unpacked.”

To celebrate, my mom, my dad, my older sister Genesis, and I hug.

“Now enjoy the rest of Thanksgiving break until school starts,” my dad tells Genesis and me.

“Have a wonderful senior year,” my mom tells Genesis. Then, Mom looks at me. “Try your best to have a great time, sweetie. I know your last school wasn’t very appreciative of you because you were different, but…”

“Mom, it’s been a year. You can say the word. I’m a lesbian,” I tell her.

“I know, honey. Just, try to make friends at your new school, okay?” she asks.

Even though making friends has never been my forte, I nod. This new school will bring new friends.

I hope.

*Carson’s POV*

My best friends, Damon, Scarlet, Avery and I sit next to each other while watching a horror movie at the movie theater. Right now, an especially boring part is playing, where a woman is frantically explaining strange happenings to a police officer. Getting bored with the movie, I look at the people sitting next to me.

I see Avery whispering something to Scarlet as they both laugh. This brings a warm feeling inside me. They had called off their friendship recently because Scarlet could not accept that Avery is bisexual. However, they made up, and I am thankful for it.

I see Damon with his arm wrapped around Scarlet. This makes me smile. Even though it was not long ago when I had a crush on Scarlet, I am glad that we have all made up and our friendships have continued.

Now, we are spending time together like best friends should.

*Seth’s POV*

“So, what hottie are you planning on dating when we get back to school?” I ask my unofficial brother Bradley.

He moved in with us a little over a week ago because his mother was arrested for abusing him. My family welcomed him with open arms to prevent him from having to join an orphanage and because he has been my friend since kindergarten. However, if his social worker deems that our residence is an unfit place to live, then she will send him to an orphanage. I do not think she will have a reason to do that, though.

“I’m taking a break from relationships. Kailyn couldn’t trust me and I trusted Taylor more than I should have,” Bradley tells me. I shake my head.

“What a weenie,” I tease jokingly.

“How are things with you and Elaina?” he asks. He says her name as if it is foreign and exciting.

“Greater than ever. I think she’s ready,” I reply. Bradley stares at me with his eyebrows close together.

“Ready for what?” he asks. I just give him a look until he figures out what I am talking about. “You’re disgusting,” he tells me.

I just shrug and smile.

*Vineet’s POV*

I have invited over friends of mine from my dorky lunch table since my sister Tessa is at a party with Kailyn. It still feels weird to call Tessa my sister. I guess I am still adjusting to this new life that being adopted has brought me.

My friends Harvey, Kelly, and I sit on the floor of my room, talking. This is probably as close to a party as any of us will ever get to.

“Does Tessa usually go to parties all the time like this?” asks Harvey.