Mahi and Matheesha and to look after you

ICC came up with the weirdest rules. If a bowler spends eight minutes or more off the field because of an injury or something else, he has to field for the same amount of time before he can bowl again.

Leave the young Matheesha Pathirana, even Mahendra Singh Dhoni didn't know that rule existed. But what he did know, was how he could tactically delay time, and essentially win the game.

Matheesha's confidence levels had dipped after he bowled the 12th over, wherein he'd given off four wides. Of course, Mahi bhai expressed no sign of disapproval or anger. And that made Matheesha all the more anxious.

Was he too mad to even talk?

He felt a tiny little strain on his shin when he fielded the next over, so he went to Mahi bhai during the over break.

"Uhm..." Matheesha stuttered, while Mahi was setting the field for the next over. When he heard the kid, his head snapped to his direction as he gave him his full attention.

"Yes, Matheesha? Anything bothering you?"

"Uh, my shin... it's hurting a little."

Mahi frowned, "Really? How bad, kiddo? Want the physio?"

Matheesha shook his head quickly and his hair fell on his forehead, making him look like such a kid. Mahi bit back a smile.

"Want to rest for a bit, then?" Mahi said, putting an arm over his shoulder as he walked him to the dugout.

"Yes. I'll come back for the 16th."

"Sure?" Mahi asked once again, as he signalled Deepak to stand in his proper position.

"Yes."

Making sure side eyed the physio to take a look at him, he left back to his place for the next over.

————————

71 were needed off the next four overs.

Pathirana came in and took his run up, but the non-striker umpire stopped him, and put forth that he can't bowl. He had to wait for another four minutes before he could bowl.

Matheesha wasn't understanding this weird ass rule, and he shrunk back, not exactly knowing how to handle the situation.

Mahi, in an instant, was beside him, enquiring the umpires about the rule and the other options he could use.

He knew in his gut that if Rashid Khan continued with the batting, GT had superb chances of winning this. And he knew that Matheesha had to bowl the 16th over to bring the match back in their hands.

Matheesha looked so intimidated and unsure, that he resembled a school kid who was being bullied. Theekshana noticed his state and rushed to his side. The others guys- Rutu, Jaddu, and Moeen were there too, figuring out what they could do.

Moeen was their only option, and with the two right handers on the crease, Mahi knew it was a risky option. Moeen understood too.

So Mahi did what he had to do; pass time.

"So, this rule has always been there, you say?" He asked casually, and the umpires were thankfully giving long ass answers. Good.

"You think there's any alternative I could turn to?" He asked, and the umpires looked at each other, and discussed within themselves.

Mahi stole a glance at Matheesha and gave him a comforting smile. "Don't worry, I've got this."

"No, sir. He can only bowl after four minutes. You'll have to use another bowler." The umpire said monotonously and Mahi nodded slowly, thoughtfully.