Chapter 20

Poppy's POV
I sat on my bed in the dark, cigarette and glass of scotch in hand. I had recently received a letter from my mother telling me that my father has fallen ill. He's in the hospital and apparently not himself. It's made me want to leave filming, go home and be with my family. But I didn't want to leave Mary alone.

I silently rubbed my now red eyes, I'm not much of a crier but when I do it's usually over something really personal. I finished my third glass of scotch and started on my fourth, softly smoking away on a cigarette.

I wouldn't say I'm a heavy drinker, but I would say I give into it while I'm under some type of unhappiness. Not a lot of people know about my problems, and I like it that way. My issues aren't other people's to deal with, Mary's been a big help but at the same time even she doesn't know everything.

Coming out of my thoughts, I heard a knock on the door. Closing my eyes and letting out a long breath I got up, and went to the door. In a slow move I opened it, and John was there. He looked at me, his eyes red, looking no better then I did.

"Come in" I said softly.

John laid on my bed, I laid next to him with my hands on my stomach and he let out a long sigh.

"What's wrong with you?" He asked

"My mum sent me a letter, me da's in the hospital. I might have to leave filming" I answered rubbing my eyes

"You can't do that" John protested quickly

"I have every right too" I argued

"I'm just saying, I'd rather you stay"

"Me too, but family comes first"

"That is, if you have one"

I looked at John and his teary eyes met mine. I tried to force a smile but I couldn't. I took a hand off my stomach and stroked his cheek softly. He closed his eyes and swallowed a lump in his throat.

"What's wrong with you then?" I whispered

"I've just been thinking, about how shitty my life is" He opened his eyes and looked at me, I paused for a second

"Why is it that I'm seeing a sensitive version of you? I mean, you're much more different in person" I spoke

"Am I?" He asked with a slight smirk

"Yeah"

His little glimpse of happiness made me feel a bit better about everything. It was true, I've been seeing a different side of him. Not they one that's portrayed on movies or in the media. He's different then how people see him, that all I think he wants.

"We're a mess" I chuckled

"We can be a mess together" He smiled

My thumb stroked under his eye were his tears were now disappearing. He placed his hand over top mine which rested on my stomach. Slowly but surely he leaned in, kissing me softly but it soon turned into a rougher one.

And for one night. I forgot all my worries. I just felt better, with him next to me. And I didn't care if it was a one night stand, all that mattered is that for one night we might have both been truly happy for once.

Written by Hannah