Take a fireside moon over your saloon

Wormwood looked at the evening sky, calmly musing over the day just had. The cows were calm, and although it was sad to have to sell Chamomile, it had been a good day.

Though... he had been feeling a tad disgruntled as of late. He was never jeered in the town, but was never respected either. Side glances were common but that's what happens when you're a pumpkin in a town of pigs.

He looked toward the moon, his confidant, and wished for another like him. He then looked to his cattle. They were dozing around the fire. Carnation was right by his side, her head in his lap. One of the pigs told him recently that she was showing signs of calving and would have a calf in the near future. Let's say he was very quick to take her off the market list and made one of his priorities making sure she was extra comfy. His horse, Magnolia, was being extra good today too. She was being so calm while he was using her as a backrest. He pulled out a sugar cube from his bag and gave it to her in which she gobbled down with gusto.

Wormwoods eyes started to droop and he felt heavy. He decided to lay down and rest for the night. He rolled out his mat and with one last glace to the stars fell asleep.

Wormwood was doing the daily checkup on his cows when one of the little pigs came running up to him screaming about something like it was the end of the world. He jogged over to the kid. He probably lost something, the littles are always like that.

"The black cat is coming! Mr! They are coming!"

His constant smile morphed to a look of anxiety. The bandit people were calling "The black cat" was always a bad sign. Named for their black cape and constant humming sound, the black cat was known to rob you of your valuables at best. Most who dealt with them wouldn't live to tell the tale.

"The whole town is evacuating, you have to leave Mr!"

He nodded at the little's words before it ran away back to it's home. Wormwood started to herd all his cows together but then took a look at Carnation, she grazed around the field barely able to stand on her legs. Oh no. She couldn't leave! She was barely even able to walk, so how would they get away far enough from harm? Maybe if he had a cart- but he didn't! Ugh!

The realization came to him. He would have to leave her, and she may get hurt or killed! If not by that cat then by all the other stuff out there!

The sun is going down. It's time to say goodbye.

Wormwood stared into Carnation's dark eyes. He could see his yellow glowing ones in the reflection.

...

He can't, if he abandoned her he would regret it for the rest of eternity. He would stand by her, whether he lived or not didn't matter, just that she was okay. He sat down next to her and rubbed the side of her stomach. He giggled at the soft murmured of a moo from her throat. He promised her and himself that he would stay by her side and wait for that scoundrel to arrive.

During the night however Wormwood didn't notice that he started to doze. Not only did he realize that he had accidentally fell asleep when he awoke the next morning, but also that Carnation was nowhere in sight. A cry was heard from a distance and Wormwood bolted to it.