Chapter 11

Lysander

If looks could kill, Zane Cortez would be dead and I would have happily claimed responsibility for the murder.

His arms were wrapped around my mate like he owned her, and it made rage boil up inside of me. I knew what it meant, what it was. I wanted to protect the female I knew was my mate. I didn't want to feel this way. It would have been much simpler, much more logical, to just let Zane do as he pleased. As long as he didn't hurt my Packmate, and he wouldn't judging by the way he looked at her, everything was fine.

Except it most definitely wasn't.

"Quinn, return to Adriel and we'll be on our way." Even my voice sounded jealous. All I could do about that was hope that no one noticed, and no one did, except my beta. Of course Adriel would give me that look, the one that said he knew more than he was saying. A look that held just the faintest inkling of sympathy, despite everything I'd done to him.

It didn't matter. If Adriel thought I was going to tell him anything, he was sorely mistaken. And I wasn't the kind of wolf that would fall for his stupid mating urges the moment he was in proximity with her. Once, I would've been glad to, but now I could control it, and Quinn could do whatever she wanted with Zane.

I. Didn't. Care.

Quinn gave Zane one last adoring look. He flashed her a smile that showcased his blindingly white teeth nicely, and my jaw clenched. In my head, Ruthless whined. "Please, I want her, please." 

Startled, I shook my head. Ruthless rarely spoke to me when I dominated the body, and when he did he was usually asking when he could kill someone. For him to be wanting, needing, that was uncalled for. I couldn't give him what he wanted, because I was never going to take another mate, ever.

"But---"

"No!"

Ruthless cut our link with a violent snap that sent a bolt of pain through my head. Anger flickered sharply, but I snuffed it. The interaction with my wolf was enough to make me want to retreat in my assigned bedroom and not resurface until tomorrow. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option, because while the other Alphas knew me by reputation and would have preferred I stay one hundred feet away at all times, I was still an Alpha with responsibilities. 

I spotted Lucas, fidgeting uncomfortably in the back of our group. This evening, he would get on a bus with every other Pack delta to take a ride home, because deltas couldn't stay. Adriel had forgotten this little detail, and he had been so excited that he'd chattered endlessly about things he was going to do with her---to Lucas, of course. He never talked to me unless he had to, and for good reason. I did not invite friendly conversations. Once I had, but not anymore.

Lucas reminded Adriel that Bree would have to leave the same evening as she arrived, which made for a mopey beta werewolf. He would get over it, though. He had to.

I got to my room and slammed the door shut immediately, leaving everyone to sort their own problems out. A faint snarl rippled across the back of my mind, a subtle reminder that Ruthless was still pissed with me.

"Cut it out," I told him. In response, a lightning-sharp bolt of pain wracked my body, nearly causing me to double over. Snarling, I tried to cut our link, but Ruthless fought back. Invisible claws sliced across my belly.

Gathering every reserve of my power, I severed the link and shut Ruthless out at last. A feeling of fury roiled in my stomach, accompanied by a tinge of unease. Zane. I could sense him nearby, and it chilled my skin. 

Ignoring this as much as I could, I settled resolutely into my bed and tried to fall asleep. Despite the angry ripples that continued to cross my mind from time to time, I managed it. But not for long.