Chapter 4: First Times

Chapter 4:

“I’m sorry El.” Brian pleaded, genuinely as Ella looked at anywhere but him outside the chemistry class room at the end of the day.

“Brian, it’s okay. Let’s just leave now or she’ll get into even more trouble please!” Abby begged, trying to drag Brian back down the stairs. She knew that her bestie just needed to figure this out on her own. Ella sighed and Abby threw her hands in the air, briskly storming off the corridor and down the stairs.

“Brian it’s okay.”

“Really?”

No, Ella wanted to say but she smiled instead. He had had a wonderful five minutes earlier that day with his brother and he deserved it. Plus, maybe this evened out her fault when she didn’t keep in touch with him?

“Go now ok?”

“Okay.” Brian smiled and was off after Abby. Abby understood her so well, Ella thought as she knocked on the door feeling meek inside but straightening up to look like she was made of stone.

“Come in.” Gin called in his rough musical voice. Ella couldn’t stop smirking. Both of the Emhart brothers had voices like lead singers of those male rock bands.

“Something funny Ms. Chase?” Gin snapped and Ella quickly looked up to see his silver-gray eyes blaring with what looked like a mixture of hate and… something she couldn’t quiet place.

She shook her head and followed the point of his finger towards the first bench as he ordered her to sit.

“Do you have your textbook with you?” Gin asked, flicking through what surprisingly looked like a sports magazine.

Ella rolled her eyes. She was in her senior year. She obviously didn’t. “I thought so. Girls like you think that they’re too important to even carry mundane textbooks.”

“Excuse me?” Where had that come from? Gin had crossed the line now. Ella folded her arms across her chest, “I’m surprised that you are so keen on breaking school rules Mr. Emhart.” She literally spat.

Gin looked at her like she was crazy, “What rules?” his  eyes were orb like and Ella noticed how his white shirt was clinging to his strong muscular body, giving him a flustered look apart from his hair though. His hair was so immaculate that Ella wanted to reach out and ruin his hairstyle just to get on his nerves.

“Well well well, Gin,” Ella smirked and Gin raised one eyebrow into his hairline, but before he could say anything, Ella said, “Never thought that you of all people wouldn’t read up on the rules and regulations beforehand.”

“What do you mean Ms. Chase?” he emphasized, wanting her to get that they had a requirement to be formal at all times.

“First, you block that window with a curtain,” she rolled her eyes, “and then-”

“What?! Do I look like a retard to you?”

Ella bent her head and snorted. She hoped that he wouldn’t push her into answering that. She’d be more than glad to though.

Gin wrung his hands in the air, “What next? What else did I supposedly do? And FYI,” he stated, “that curtain was already there when I came here.”

“Yeah right.” Ella whispered, digging in her bag for her chemistry note book. She knew that he’d done it. He loved privacy as far as she remembered.

“You said something?” Gin challenged and Ella gave him a ‘du-uh’ look, pleased when she noticed how red his ears had gotten.

“Go on. What else?” he ran his hand through his hair, ruining the hairstyle and now Ella raised her eyebrows.