Do things right

Will had proposed to her two days before he left as a volunteer. The war would soon be over, everyone said so, but America's children kept being sent across the ocean.The Davons' only son was growing up, he was undoubtedly one of the best boys in town, and his departure to the front had been met with great pride throughout the town and a certain sense of guilty relief on Tess's part.The jewel that he had worn on her finger since that day was there to remind her that her return would be followed by her departure and with it heavy decisions.Her ring had to be reduced by at least two sizes, but the fact of not modifying it, not adapting it to her hands, left her with a stupid idea of freedom from which she did not intend to part.Mrs. Davon must have had it fixed several times over the years, Tess had noticed her mark on the ring finger of her left hand, just above the wedding ring. "The ring is hers, Will is hers. That will never change."The engagement of the two had been in the air for some time, Will was a young man with elegant and gentle manners, focused on a military career, in love with the sea, loved by all because he did nothing to make himself hated. Tess was the kind of beauty you couldn't help but notice, tempered by an elegant manner, gifted with brilliant conversation and never out of place. "The perfect woman to accompany William," Mrs. Davon thought after the first meeting.Yes, there was that unhappy story about her being her mother, but it would have been enough never to mention her, not to mention her at parties, to change the subject at the right moment, to focus attention on the young couple and not on her absent ones. Everything would have worked out perfectly.The relationship between the two had the flavor of that courtly love one reads in books, above all respectful of the rules.Will had asked for her as a wife as any mother would want for her daughter.The party had been organized in the family villa so that everyone could say goodbye to the young man before he left, but above all so that every lady in the village could see how well Mrs. Davon had educated her son.Everyone imagined what would happen that evening, so no one was surprised when, after the last chord of the orchestra, Will bowed to the girl, took her hand and: "Do you want it?" He asked, handing her the ring.Tess felt breathless. She actually didn't answer anything. She just smiled embarrassed looking for her father's gaze. Only to find him hours later her proud and pleased toasting.They had danced all night that night. They had kissed for a long time on the patio, after all Will's kisses had never been bad, in her heart she believed they were even extraordinary, at least until ..."Hi Tess"Not a voice. Her voice. Of her Her words drifted lightly from her right ear to her neck, and then ran like a shiver down her spine. Her shoulders arched slightly."Hi Tess." Still. This time her voice was accompanied by a light touch on her arm, Diego's hand remained there, in the crook of her elbow, waiting patiently for her to find the strength to turn around.But Tess didn't turn around."HI"She just told her, after trying to muster all the strength she had."Plums and walnuts" thought the girl "this morning smells of plums, walnuts and tobacco""Tess I don't want to talk to you about last night"This was certainly not the sentence she would have expected, but all in all it could go. Not even she would know what to say."I looked out the kitchen window and saw you here on the dock, I just thought you might like some fruit."A sugary white peach had slipped onto her left hand as she tilted her head to observe it and her Diego's voice approached her ear: "In the greenhouse."Her breath stopped."They were born in the greenhouse, I picked them up this morning"She had teased her. She knew the boy had noticed her gasp, he was surely laughing at the thought of her.Tess freed her arm from the young man's hand, offended and furious she turned abruptly.Her green eyes looked at her amused, but with a sweetness that stole her soul."Hi Tess""Good morning"She had recently smoked a cigarette, the smell of tobacco was stronger now that she had it inches from her face.The peach was velvety, Tess dipped a finger into her flesh, her sweet juice flowing down her wrist.Diego noticed that gesture, slowly brought his hand to the fruit and then to the girl's wrist, drawing small circles of sugar water.They remained like this for several minutes, almost motionless, concentrated on a few centimeters of skin.Suddenly the sun sparkled from the stone set in Will's ring. Tess released her wrist from the young man's hand, took a bite of the peach and tossed it into the water."See you Diego".A seagull swooped down, just long enough to touch a wave and then climb back into the sky.Free.